X

Katana Carburator questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Carburator questions

Hey, I was reffered here from sportbikes.com saying you guys could probably help me out. i was wondering what carburators will fit on an 92 suzuki katana 600? will the 750 carbs work, any upgrades from different bikes I can do? The bike has a 4-1 header and exhaust and a modified airbox right now. Thanks for the help

-Tyler

750 carbs are 36mm , and the 600 carbs are smaller (34 or 32mm , I'm not sure I remember) , so they wouldn't just bolt right up too easily . Of course there are lots of things you can do , and you can find LOTS of good info here . Mods should probably depend on what you're hoping to accomplish . So , what ARE you hoping to accomplish ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well, what i am trying to acomplish is get a bike that runs the carbs on the bike right now are very messed up, under the diaphram is jbwelded together on one, the brass tube that sticks up into part of the plastic on the float is broken off on another carburator, the gaskets leak fuel around the bowls, throttle cable bracket jb-welded... goes on and on symptoms with the bike are a huge flat spot (sputtering very little power) from 4-8k rpms, after which it pulls pretty hard, wont idle, and then when you ride the bike and get it hot, shut it off and try to restart it, it will run but barely at about 1.2-1.5k rpms. try to give it any gas it will die. i am assuming carbs are a good place to start w/these problems? also have spark plugs i am going to swap in whenever I do the carbs

I will most likely never do much more then bolt on's. I am kind of thinking about making a scooop and a ram air type system for the airbix, already has a good exhaust on it. looks like the old carbs have a jet kit on them, however with all the problems with them i am hesitent to swap it over.

I have been a car guy and know a lot of tricks for them but i am just getting started with modifying bikes so i am just trying to learn about the katana and get as much done as cheeply as possible for a poor college student.

so am i just looking for carbs from a pre97 katana or are there others that will work?
      -Tyler

Comment

I can give you 3 options.

1. post a WTB/carbs in Parts and Gear foum.

2. Ebay.

3. PM Special K to see if he has any

Hope this helps.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I would stick with the carbs for you bike. If you are looking for more power, get a jet kit, full exhaust, stuff like that.

Defiantely get on the prowl for a new set of carbs. Check ebay and the like as well.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

You want to locate a set of Mikuni BST33SS carbs, which are stock carbs for 1990 - 1997 Katana 600's. These are the right carbs for your bike. Because of the modified airbox and aftermarket exhaust, you'll need to get a stage 3 jetkit (www.dynojet.com or www.factorypro.com to find the right part numbers). In general, you should seek all this stuff on eBay whenever feasible to keep the costs minimized.

When you said modified airbox, what mod(s) have been done to it?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

I will try to pm Special K to see if he has any

I took a dremel and cut out the plastic part that (i assumed was an air silencer) and smoothed it out to about the lip of the air filter.

Was this okay/good to do? i have a set of individual pods that might fit on the carbs but i have heard that these are to much for a low performance 600... what do you guys think about that? otherwise i was thinking that i could rout a ram air system to the opening on the airbox.

-Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by tylerc
                I took a dremel and cut out the plastic part that (i assumed was an air silencer) and smoothed it out to about the lip of the air filter.
                This will usually make the engine run too lean in the stock configuration, and you will probably need to adjust thge fueling to compensate.

i have a set of individual pods that might fit on the carbs but i have heard that these are to much for a low performance 600...
                Normally pods are only used in conjunction with a larger diameter (aftermarket) exhaust and a stage 3 jetkit; again, installing the pods without changing the jetting will result in too lean a mix.

otherwise i was thinking that i could rout a ram air system to the opening on the airbox.
                If you can figure out how to route it so that it still passes through the airfilter and doesn't compromise the integrity of the airbox, knock yourself out -- then post pics

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have my eye on a set of carbs with a stage 3 jet kit on them, and i already have an aftermarket header/exhaust/pipe on it. i am assuming the jetting will be correct with a stage 3 and a gutted airbox/exhaust?

If i do figure out the ram air I will make sure to post pics for all to see, i am not thinking it would be *too* hard to do this, just attach ducting to the hole in the stock airbox, run to a scoop on the front of the bike.

Comment

Pretty sure I sent you a PM returning yours................YES, I have sets of those carbs cleaned and ready to go, but they are set up stock. See more info in PM..................... 8)
                    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                    X