Oil light stays on after lowside????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light stays on after lowside????

Hey whats up peeps.

Anyways I lowsided my bike last weekend @ about 45ish mph. I was guilty of wearing shorts, which I may add will never happen again. I had my jacket, gloves and helmet on though. I walked away with minor rash on my right shin and knee.
    But to tha point. The bike faired great for sliding down the road, BUT once I got it started the oil light came on and hasnt went off yet. I changed the oil today and the light is still on!! the bike slid on its right side, if that helps. The engine cover on that side got scraped but didnt scrape through it!

So my questions are:
    What makes the oil light come on?? Low oil level?? (shouldnt be that cause I just changed it) low oil pressure?? No oil pressure??

And lastly if there is a sensor where is it at??? I looked everywhere!!

Someone help me out cause I dont wanna ride it till I know im not gonna hurt the motor. ANY suggestions on what the problem might be would be very helpful!! Any suggestions on what I should check or look for will help also!!

Thanks, Todd (used to be katansevenfidy @ KP)
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would guess at a dodgy connection on the sensor, but then I have the mechanical knowledge and aptitude of a brick.

I'd suggest waiting for CyberPoet to answer. He'll give you full details on stripping and rebuilding the bike next time he's on :P
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Originally posted by fulcrum
      I would guess at a dodgy connection on the sensor, but then I have the mechanical knowledge and aptitude of a brick.

I'd suggest waiting for CyberPoet to answer. He'll give you full details on stripping and rebuilding the bike next time he's on :P

Thanks for the reply. Do you know where the sensor is. I found a sensor behind the sprocket cover/behind the sprocket. I dont know if thats it but it was connected and looked to be some kind of pickup. Cause it had 3 "brass" pickups on it, with a shaft against it. Idunno.

Thanks though! Anyone else?

Todd
      Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The bottom srew is the oil pressure sensor. Its behind the front rightside crankcase cover.

'92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
          The bottom srew is the oil pressure sensor. Its behind the front rightside crankcase cover.

Thanks alot floxera. I had no idea where it was. I will check it tomorrow. That is exactly the place where the cover was scraped up really good. I will probably have to drain some of the oil out to take that cover off huh????

Thanks alot!!

Comment

More than likely your cover is dented and touching that screw floxera pointed out. I think you can get away with taking the cover off and not draining any oil IF you put the bike on the regular lean kick stand. I did that once before and had just a few drops of oil leak. As for the other sensor you found behind the sprocket that is the Neutral Sense Switch. It turns the neutral light on when you are in neutral. That is also one of the parts that I modified for my Gear Indicator Project.

BTW I'll be reposting the link to the gear indicator how-to once Ace280 is done with the new and improved IC circuit. He's adding the top bar to the number "6" and making the circuit easier to build. Well hopefully he is making it easier to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
              More than likely your cover is dented and touching that screw floxera pointed out. I think you can get away with taking the cover off and not draining any oil IF you put the bike on the regular lean kick stand. I did that once before and had just a few drops of oil leak. As for the other sensor you found behind the sprocket that is the Neutral Sense Switch. It turns the neutral light on when you are in neutral. That is also one of the parts that I modified for my Gear Indicator Project.

BTW I'll be reposting the link to the gear indicator how-to once Ace280 is done with the new and improved IC circuit. He's adding the top bar to the number "6" and making the circuit easier to build. Well hopefully he is making it easier to build.
              Thanks for the good info. I was wondering what that sensor behind the sprocket was. I remember your write up on the gear indcator. Was really cool.

Thanks,
              Todd

BTW very nice avitar!!!!!!

Comment

If as Mr.Clean pointed out the cover is dented and touching the screw it would be grounding the wiring keeping the oil pressure light on. To test take the screw out and pull the wire away from the switch then turn the ignition on if the oil pressure light is out thats good. Its possible the crankcase cover is grounding the oil pressure switch, but it is still possible there is an oil pressure problem. If the light stays on the wire is begin grounded somewhere else along the line. Either way you wont know for sure if you have an oil pressure problem until you replace the dented crankcase cover and the oil presure light returns to working normally OR you acctually test the oil pressure with the proper guage.

Comment

See, you guys didn't need me... Floxera got it perfectly

TIPS:
                  Careful with the gasket, or you'll be getting a new one.
                  Don't over-tighten the hex-key bolts when putting it back in -- like many bolts on the bike, they're made of harder stuff than the metal they screw into.
                  Expect a small drip-drip of oil when you get under the cover. It's normal. Just put down something to catch it ahead of time, and top off your oil again after the repair.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna tackle it this afternoon after work.
                    Ill let you guys know what happened!

Todd

Comment

Hey you guys had it right!! The cover had dented into the sensor screw and was touching. I massaged the cover from the inside to give the screw room, until I get a new cover. And it worked. No more oil light.
                      Thanks for all the help!

Todd

Comment

Man, isn't it great to have a place like this that can save you money from not having to take it to the dealer to figure out what is wrong? Instead of paying god knows how much labor to troubleshoot what was causing it and the cost of a new cover all at once, you were able to fix it yourself. Now when the time and money is convienient (?) for you, you can get a new cover (and gasket) and just replace it yourself. Plus, now you know where that sensor is, and how easy it is to get to your ignition stuff.

I love this place more and more every day.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by floxera

Someone did the FREE 5* mod... Nice job!!!
                          Helmets skid... Brains splatter.
                          Wear your lid... Or lose gray matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                            Man, isn't it great to have a place like this that can save you money from not having to take it to the dealer to figure out what is wrong? Instead of paying god knows how much labor to troubleshoot what was causing it and the cost of a new cover all at once, you were able to fix it yourself. Now when the time and money is convienient (?) for you, you can get a new cover (and gasket) and just replace it yourself. Plus, now you know where that sensor is, and how easy it is to get to your ignition stuff.

I love this place more and more every day.

Yes I totally agree, this website and the knowledge it holds is far better than a shops labor rate!! Your right I now know where the sensor is and have a better appreciation for the people who keep these types of sites running. Much thanks to the people who helped me out!! Maybe just maybe I can return the favor someday!!

Todd

Comment

What happened? did you get her fixed?

Comment

Working...
                              X