how to repair Spider cracks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to repair Spider cracks

Hi,

Some drunk *&#% decided it was a good idea to kick my bike over one night. I was just wondering what's the best method to repair spider cracks in plastic.

I'm trying to get my bike prepared for a paint job.

My cracks aren't too serious as it might be mostly the paint that is cracked. But, cracks are definitely visible on the backside of the plastics.

I was thinking about slathering on some epoxy to reinforce the plastic.....anyone know of any good compounds for this type of fix? Maybe something that might penetrate the cracks to prevent the cracks from spreading further?

Thanks

heh heh heh.....cracks

ABS or "general use" solvent..
    It's in the PVC isle of home depot..
    Be carefull though, I have found the plastic stays soft, softer than stock once "slathered"

Hint: A piece of fiberglass cloth laid over the
    crack and covered with more solvent will adhere well and add some "binding" for the repair.

"Primer/ cleaner" is also sold I have used it but never compared if it is needed..

Comment

Ha ha, that's sweet!!

While you were giving me advice on fixing my plastics, i was reading your post about "kreeming" your tank; something I have to do in the near future myself.

Why can't people just keep their tanks full? It can't really be that difficult can it????

Comment

I used to tell that to a buddy of mine..
        I always kept my tank 3/4 full (minimum) in the winter espcially (this was in New England in my car)..
        He alway kept his on E..

"Dude is cost the same to keep it almost full as it does to keep it almost empty.. (once it is full that is)

Comment

Oh and another thing. Take a small drill bit and stop drill the cracks at both ends. This will help ensure they do recrack at that point in the future.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Nice one High..
            If the cracks go through that works with anything..
            Metal, rubber and plastic..

Comment

Crazy glue?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

You crazy girl

Comment

www.plastex.com, that stuff is great

Comment

Fusor brand plastic repair adhesive is used widely in the professional realms for this purpose (www.lordcorp.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=263).
                    Or a plastic welder also works well (about $135 for an airless one from www.usplastic.com, www.urethanesupply.com, or www.urethanesupply.com), and you can easily resell it afterwards for almost what you paid.
                    Or write the guys at Empire (www.empiregp.com) and get a quote -- they did my GF's fairing at a good price, including a respray.

If you use epoxy, do it only on the backside, and scruff up the plastic a bit first. Make sure you use a putty style epoxy with a minimum heat tolerance of 500 degrees if it's next to the engine (example: standard JB Weld handles 600 degrees F, but 4-minute JB Weld can only handle 300 degrees F -- but I wouldn't use JB Weld for this, as there are other brand epoxy compounds much stronger/harder and more suitable for the task). Layer in some fiberglass, kevlar, amerind, or fine steel mesh before you set the epoxy on, to provided strength.

See this link for further reading:
                    SportRider Magazine - how to repair ABS bodywork
                    Duff's fairing repairs page

Personally, I like getting the $$ out of the drunk to simply buy new ones from the factory pre-painted (expensive).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have been doing experiments with plastic welding.
                      I've been using a standard soldering iron with a large tip (1/4") I'm getting good results.
                      I fashioned a pair of air box covers.
                      (I'm going with a half fairing)
                      I'm getting strong welds using strips of old fairing plastic for filler rod.
                      Once I get it down pat I'll post some pics.

Comment

Personally, I like getting the $$ out of the drunk to simply buy new ones from the factory pre-painted (expensive).

Oh I got some cash out of him....there was a whole list of things that were busted up....tank, pipe, handle bar, mirror....nothing too too serious but it all adds up.

At least he was kind decent and paid me, after about 3 months of "convincing"

The funny thing is that the same thing happend to my buddy. Some guy in a pickup backs into his (parked) bike, leaves the scene (hit & run). Luckily he was at work and some other guys on the jobsite witnessed the "accident", eventually tracked down the guy and he paid for the damages. -- Both of us had our bikes for only three weeks after purchase before they were damaged by someone else. --- Does this happen to a lot of folks? --- I'm just thankful that they weren't brand new machines but it still hurts to see an injured Kat.

Comment

Originally posted by benchfalco
                          Oh I got some cash out of him....there was a whole list of things that were busted up....tank, pipe, handle bar, mirror....nothing too too serious but it all adds up.

At least he was kind decent and paid me, after about 3 months of "convincing"

The funny thing is that the same thing happend to my buddy. Some guy in a pickup backs into his (parked) bike, leaves the scene (hit & run). Luckily he was at work and some other guys on the jobsite witnessed the "accident", eventually tracked down the guy and he paid for the damages. -- Both of us had our bikes for only three weeks after purchase before they were damaged by someone else. --- Does this happen to a lot of folks? --- I'm just thankful that they weren't brand new machines but it still hurts to see an injured Kat.
                          I don't think you get it -- he has insurance. You have a new bike. He damages your new bike, which entitles you to new parts to make your new bike new again -- as many and as expensive as necessary to restore the bike to the same condition it was before he hit it. And you have the right to something to ride in the meantime of the same value. And his insurance company is paying the ticket on all of it...
                          Thus, step 1 would be to call the cops and get an accident form. Step 2 is to talk to the co-workers before the cops show up. Step 3 is to let the cops talk to the co-workers and track him down. Step 4 is for you to file against his insurance company. Step 5 is to pop by the local dealership, drop off your bike and tell them you'll pick it up when it's new again.
                          If you're fixing spider cracks, it didn't go down that way...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ha ha, yeah, you're absolutely right, it didn't go down that way.....I knew the guy and there were a series of events which ultimately led to the assault on my bike, but since I'm a DIY guy I wanted the cash for what it would cost for repair if it was done professionally, so he lowballed me....then I said court, and he said okay. and we agreed on an appropriate amount .... water under the bridge.

"and that's the end of that chapter"

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                              You crazy girl
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                              X