X

speedo issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo issues

i just changed my guages from a 99 750 to 01 600 (I assume). (Top speed is 150 on new not 160 like the old). Anyway my question is Is the speed on the 600 the same as the 750? Or is there a calibrated difference? What can I do to adjust my speed correctly?

Speed reads from the same signal or cable speed, so would be accurate depending on the amount of error in the speedometer head. Many are off 3 to 5 percent. Your original one was probably off a similar amount.

Comment

I appreciate the info. Now I can take of my 750 Illumiglo guages and sell. Thanks again.

Comment

it's probably due to where you got the gauges (which model they came off of). If the old gauges were based on a Kat 600 with an expected stock 47 tooth rear, and the new ones are based on a Kat 750 with a stock 45 tooth rear, that might explain the whole difference.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have searched and investigated a speedohealer. Will this adjust the spped across the board. I also read where someone just figured how far off the speedo was and adjusted the needle. Are these the only two ways to adjust?

Comment

Yes, the speedo healer (and it's competitor, YellowBox) will both correct the speedo across the board by taking the speed input signal, manipulating it, and then feeding the corrected signal to the dash. Basically, we're talking about a "translation box" that sits inline to the existing system to correct the problem.

I have never heard of the needle adjustment (I doubt it would work on a 98+ because of how the system works -- most likely just damage the speedo). Placing a sticker over the existing speedo face with a corrected range (i.e. - instead of 90 mph being x degrees from 0 mph, it's now 10 degrees further around the sweep area) is the cheapest fix, but you have to redo it every time something in the set-up changes (tires, gear ratios, etc), while the SpeedoHealer and YellowBox systems both let you reset their percentage of change at any point if you do further mods.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

not trying to hack, but where to purchase one of these speedo healers, etc?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Not sure, I've never tried to buy one. My guess is a google search would net you that info... I know I put a link to each of the two on my sprockets web pages...

Black Robotics - official home page, we design and manufacture quality robot platforms and robot electronics.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I appreciate the info CP.

Comment

Working...
                  X