X

Can i change my pistons myself?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i change my pistons myself?

I got a 96 katana and i took it to a local shop and they e-xrayed it and said my pistons were off. Now i have the complete manual for my year, but tell u the truth i dont know anything about the motor i just know how to ride. Ok the ? can i do it my self?[/b]

Yes,

You will most likely break something. Cut your hands up. Invent some new swear words. Buy a lot of nifty new tools. Take up drinking. Learn a lot! But yes it is possible for you to do it..

Comment

I did it, but I had basic knowledge on motors before I tore mine apart.

And yes, BP is right, I "had" to buy a bunch of sweet new tools.

The shop x-rayed it? Since when do shops use x-ray machines? And what do you mean your pistons are "off"?
      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
      18v Rigid Drill
      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
        The shop x-rayed it? Since when do shops use x-ray machines? And what do you mean your pistons are "off"?
        What your shop doesn't have a kat scan??

Comment

Oooohhh... bad pun!

They probably did a compression test (leak-down) or stuck a scope down the spark plug holes. I've never seen a shop that actually had an XRay machine, and with the Feds cracking down on control of radiotides used in XRay machines, I doubt they'd be permitted to keep one.

Meanwhile, I guess the real question is whether you want to do this as a learning experience, or just to get back on the road. As a learning experience, I'm all for it, suggest you do it, etc. As a method of getting back on the road, buying an used known-good engine/tranny combo for $500 - $800 and swapping engines is more time effective (and probably will be more cost-effective as well by the time all is said and done unless you have a ton of tools already).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Oooohhh... bad pun!
            Bad pun?!?!
            Nice to meet you Mr. Pot!

Comment

Why did you take it to the shop? No power, piston slap, noisy engine?? I think the shop is full of BS, give us some more info.
              2005 GSXF750 Katana
              1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
              1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Originally posted by reconstyle
                What your shop doesn't have a kat scan??
                Careful there....... anymore like that, and they just might give you your own T.V. show on Spike's "powerblock"

Comment

I did it , and I didn't have much knowledge of the engine beforehand , but I DID read a LOT .
                  I think the hardest part is getting the engine in and out . But ......
                  You'll probably end up with new rings ($160 through Suzuki for my oversize ones , not sure what stock size would be) , and have the cylinder honed (another $180 at my local shop) . If you can score a "new" engine for $400-$600 , and you can swing it , it'd be much easier . But , Like BP said , you'll learn a LOT . And stock up on finger band aids ahead of time ! The rings didn't cut me up , but the sharp edges of the bores and head got me quite often .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Nice to meet you Mr. Pot!
                    Black_kettle...

=-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X