X

Cylinder #2&3 not firing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder #2&3 not firing

Well dang the luck - since it's cooled down I decided to take the bike out and go to start it - really hard to start and barely runs on choke - so I check the pipes and the center two are still cold - I run it up and down the street a few hundred feet and get out the IR temp gun - the outers are ~300* and the centers are ~100 - so I'm thinking it's got to be related since both died at the same time - am assuming they're off the same coil pack? If so that coil pack isn't producing spark? Sound right??

Anyone have a good and easy test method to test the ignition coil, the CDI box and the ignition pickup?
    1994 katana 600 - little TLC and she'll be good as new...

Could be your coil pack or that your float is stuck or your needle is not seated correctly. I had that happen to me when I installed a jet kit in mine. One fo the needles did not seat correctly and that cylinder did not get hot at all. No fuel was passing through to ignite anything.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I just read on another post that one coil does #1 & 3 and the other does #2 and #4 - if that's the case then I'm going to have to think I'm dealing with a carb issue or bad plugs since I've never had a coil pack "half-die"

Anyone know what cylinders each coil pack fires? (1994 Katana 600 FWIW)

Trying to get an idea before I tear off the plastics this weekend...

Comment

I think the right side fires 2 & 4 and the left one does 1 and 3. Not sure though. Never paid attention to mine.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

no, the coils are 1 & 4, and 2 & 3. if 2 & 3 aren't firing the coil is were I'd start. The primary resistance is 2-4 and the secondary resistance is 30000 to 40000

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
            no, the coils are 1 & 4, and 2 & 3. if 2 & 3 aren't firing the coil is were I'd start. The primary resistance is 2-4 and the secondary resistance is 30000 to 40000
            Thanks for verifying that! I'm hoping it's something simple like a loose wire to the coil or???

Anyhow - been reading about the pickup coil / signal generator - does this bike use 2 pickup coils (one for each pack) or does it use a single pickup and the CDI does all the logic? (Wondering if I've got a dead pickup coil if it's one pickup to one ignition coil...)

Comment

no there is one pick up rotor and one pick up coil. If 2 & 3 aren't firing, you can rule out signal generator and CDI. You're dealing with a coil issue, I'm sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                no there is one pick up rotor and one pick up coil. If 2 & 3 aren't firing, you can rule out signal generator and CDI. You're dealing with a coil issue, I'm sure of that.
                That's what I'm hoping - wonder if it was weak/going out and that's what was causing the running issues I had earlier... I'm thinking it's related. I'm going to put a new set of plugs in when I test all this stuff just to be sure it's not something odd like the plugs decided to foul out on the one coil because it's weak....

I'll test it out and if it's bad see what the dealer wants for a new coil - then I'll pick up my jaw from the floor and probably be looking for an aftermarket or used one

THANKS to everyone for the info so far!

Comment

if you bothered to fill out your ride profile I could give you the exact link but you didn't so here's one.

Comment

And I may have an extra set of coils kickin around , too .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X