X

chain tension???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain tension???

Hey everyone, i haven't been on the site in a while, and wasn't able to find anything via searches. I just swapped out the tires on my bike, took em off myself. Now that i have the tires and rims back, and they are back on the bike, i'm wanting to know just how much play I should leave in the chain? An avid rider buddy of mine said there should be about an inch, is that accurate?? any help would be great. Thanks.

hmmm..... i think he's in the right neighborhood. i think if you tighten your chain too much, it will wear out quicker. i'm sure you knew that. but what i want to know that is along the same lines... if you tighten the chain too much, will anything else happen (like transmission wise) that is not good. i've noticed a little bit better response on tighter chains, but does that cons outweigh the pros?
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

the chain slack specs for the 88-97 750 are 1.2 to 1.6 inches. And that is to be measured midway between the sprockets. I imagine the values are the same on the 98+ if not someone will correct me. I'm not sure if having your chain too tight will damage the trans. I figure if the chain is too tight, you will just wear the chain and sprockets much faster. The chain will probably stretch before it would damage the trans, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

LINK: CyberPoet's Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance page at MotorcycleAnchor.com.

98+ owner's manual specs 0.8 to 1.2 inches as acceptible range, but I find that sticking to about 1.1" tends to give you the best lifespan. Note these values are as measured on the center-stand with the rear wheel hanging free of the ground; if measured on the side-stand, the play should be slightly less because the wheel will be in a higher position (probably about 1/10th of an inch less range on the chain).

Remember, if you chain is stretched (link-to-link distance), it and the sprockets need to be replaced. Simple way to test:

You shouldn't be able to pull it away more than 1 mm or so at the center of the rear sprocket. If you can, it's stretched in a way that no amount of adjustment or link-removal will keep it from wearing everything down real fast.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X