Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Replacing Throttle Cables - Any Special Tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Throttle Cables - Any Special Tips?

I'm going to replace my throttle cables this afternoon or evening (as soon as the boys upstairs stop using their tile saw -- don't want tile dust on/in the bike). I've had them disconnected at the control end before, but never at the carbs, other than to loosen the retainers so I could get the valve covers out. Any special tips on replacing them?

=-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

TIPS (based on what I just encountered):

1. The airbox must come out to get the rear-most cable in.
    2. The carbs don't have to come out if you have a properly sized pair of forceps (7 - 10" throw, self-locking); just hold the catch-end at the right angle to slip it into the hole readily. Also makes removing the old ones much easier. Worth every penny of the $1 - $2 they cost at a flea market.
    3. Adjust the throttle cable slack on both ends before reinstalling the tank and airbox. That way you can actually eyeball the tension (and feel it with your finger) during the adjustments; always adjust them with the steering all the way to the right (puts the most tension on the cables).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't remember exactly how I did mine (it was a while ago) , but I DO remember it was a biatch . I think it involved some pliers and a screwdriver...
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sorry Poet............just saw this post.

I use the heck out of a 10mm wrench..............and I almost always take the carbs off - it ends up making it quicker in the long run with my big hands and long bony fingers. Besides, gives me a good excuse or chance to spare the carbs bdown real good outside with carb cleaner, and then re-lube the pivot points with a little dab of white lube............

and the tank and air box are removed, naturally.

I do have ONE GOOD TIP FOR EVERYONE ON THEIR KATS WITH AN AIRBOX:

If you remove the airbox and the carbs, put the airbox back on the carbs BEFORE you reinstall the carbs - makes it's !) TIMES EASIER to get that good seal and mounting position. Also, I remove the air filter so I can get my hand down inside the airbox to puch the boots on and then hold them in place while I tightend up the boot clamps on the carbs............
        then mount assembly, the air filter, the rear tank bracket..............
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
          Sorry Poet............just saw this post.

I use the heck out of a 10mm wrench..............and I almost always take the carbs off - it ends up making it quicker in the long run with my big hands and long bony fingers.
          Try the forceps trick next time. I have broad hands and at first ran into the same issue, until I stopped and thought about it. As soon as I got the forceps out, it turned into under 30 seconds per cable to disconnect the old end and insert the new one.

Thought of the day:
          They don't disqualify surgeons in training for having big hands...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didn't find another post that addressed this specifically... but it kinda applies here... so here goes...
            I have the carbs off the bandit, and the bars off as well. Cables are 6 years old (throttle/choke).

Worthwhile to replace now while everything is apart, or should I just wait until I have a problem with something?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Def. replace that choke cable...............those things are normally good for only a couple of years...........unless you NEVER get caught in the rain!
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                Def. replace that choke cable...............those things are normally good for only a couple of years...........unless you NEVER get caught in the rain!
                +1

There is an old trick that long-riders & rally riders use, and that's to tape the new cable to the old cable (in parallel), so when the old cable fails, you just swap ends and keep going. But you're not out on the road (or off-road) for thousands of miles at a pop, so just swap it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Gotcha. Choke cable now, throttle cables when they present a problem.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Holy crap!
                    I can't believe you found a thread that was this old!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Holy crap!
                      I can't believe you found a thread that was this old!
                      I just looked for the post that was closest to what I needed. This thread addressed replacing cables, so I figured it was a good spot to ask about wear and tear replacement.

Now I gots to find me some cables to order.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X