No announcement yet.
X

One problem after another

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the throttle cable OFF is the easy part , it's getting it back ON again that sucks . I usually take the throttle pod apart , put it back on at the carbs with the extra slack , THEN thread the cable back around the throttle tube . Seems to work easier that way .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, the 98+ is a real bear without a set of forceps -- in part because it's dual throttle cables (push-pull). I've got putting it back down to about 30 - 90 seconds per side with the 8" curved forceps (the secret is all in the clamping lock and where you hold the cable).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, I have one of the carbs apart, the float bowl was filled with dark rusty sediment and which was plugging up the drain screw. I am having trouble locating the main jets and also what is the emulsion tube? what exatcly am I suppose to drill out on the carb with the brass fitting?
        Sorry for all the questiongs but this is the first time doing this and what to get every thing cleaned right.
        thanks

Comment

If the float bowl was filled with dark rusty sediment, your primary problem to fix first is tank rust, because otherwise any cleaning you do to the carbs will be for nothing (it'll come right back as soon as the tank is used again).

CyberPoet's "How to correct a rusty motorcycle gasoline tank".

We'll go into what needs to happen at the carbs once that's done

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by stevend135
            I am having trouble locating the main jets and also what is the emulsion tube? what exatcly am I suppose to drill out on the carb with the brass fitting?
            Got a manual ? Read the "carb how-to" yet ?
            The main jet is kinda hard to miss , buddy . It's this brass thing with a hole in it and a slot for a screwdriver . It's RIGHT there in the middle sticking out .
            The emulsion tube (or needle jet as I think the fiche diagrams call it ) is what the main jet actually screws into , and what the needle sits down in from the top .
            The caps aren't actually IN the carbs , they sit just outside the bowls , and near the engine side . If the caps are there , you can't miss 'em . They're these round , brass things maybe 1/4" in diameter and they seem to have a TEENY tine hole in them already usually .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi, I looked at the carb cleaning thing, and my bowl looked exactly like that and I already tried the acid in the tank in july when I got it, so looks like I will have to try por 15 how much does this cost?
              thanks

Comment

$35-$50 last time I checked.

If you acid washed your tank back in July, and there's fresh water/rust, you'll also want to check your drain tube from the neck of the tank down -- might be kinked or clogged and letting rain water overflow into the tank.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hi, I took my carbs to a independent mechanic to fix and look at my fuel petcock, and I am going to drain the tank and put fresh gas in.
                  So after I get it back together it should run if not I don't know what else to do.
                  Hopefully it starts

Comment

I got the carbs back the guy who cleaned them said carb 3and4 were plugged and not getting fuel and 1and2 getting real little fuel. tomorrow afternoon put them on and hopefully all goes well.

Comment

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X