X

Ever repacked your exhaust?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever repacked your exhaust?

I was fooling around with my pipes this weekend, and pulled the sleeve off of one of the slip-ons, much to my surprise, there's no, zip, zero, nadda, fiberglass in there, just a Core and hollow sleeve. I see speedwerks has repacking material, anyone here ever repacked their own mufflers?
    Any tips?

Thanks.
    Chris

I hav done it a few times in my Vahns & hines. all you have to do is wrap it around and stuff it in.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

OOOO that kinda sounds bad.
      PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

I have repacked my Yoshimura too. Just went to the dealer and bought the packing, wrapped it around the pipe with all the holes in it, and slid the sleeve back on. Not too hard. The packing at the dealer was only like $9 (if I remember right) so I didn't think that was expensive enough to wait for shipping from somewhere online.

Overall... pretty easy to do.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Fixin to do the same thing myself . Just ordered the packing material this morning , in fact . Now I gotta track down a riveting tool I can borrw ... Roadbike mag has an article about it this month , if you want to check it out .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yea i did mine last year and the stuff that was in there was hard as a rock(Yoshi pipe about 10 years old never repacked)
            The Katana's Big Brother
            1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Hey , you guys have trouble getting the cap off the end of those Yosh pipes ? Mine's just NOT comin' off , and I been whacking it with a rubber mallet like I heard you were supposed to do . I called Yosh and asked if there was some trick I was missing (yeah , I got the bolts out ) , and they said to just hit it harder .

Comment

if they said that to me, id ask them if they're paying for a new one if you dent it!!
                ------------------------------------------------------
                Lean in Lean out.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
                2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
                2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
                2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well , I told them I didn't want to hurt it , and they told me "you can hit it quite hard without hurting it . Our mechanics do it all the time." . Guess I'll just spray some more penetrating oil on it and give it another whack sometime ...

Comment

thats the way mine was when i first took it off, it took two people. One to hold the can and none holding the endcap and pull and twist at the same time and it will eventially come off
                    The Katana's Big Brother
                    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Say , that WAS a PITA ! I ended up beating the he77 out of it with a rubber mallet and prying at the seam with a couple of screwdrivers while spraying PB Blaster at it . After beating the thing for about a half hour it finally came apart . I was hitting it pretty close to as hard as possible with not one dent to show for it , in case anyone else will be doing this later on ...

Comment

Working...
                      X