X

Kick @$$ gas treatment!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick @$$ gas treatment!!

If you think that your bike is getting bad gas mileage. Then try Lugas gas treatment. I rode from Kansas City to Fort Riley, Kansas on one tank of gas. Thats over 200 miles people!!!!! And still had 1/4 tank left.
    Its the KatScout! Scoutin' for over 6 years! Scouts OUT!

Coool, I was wondering about that...

You can also try "seafoam" it works well in cleaning out the carbs...
    "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Fuel Treatment

Well in response to the above post, I have a question. Is there a case for adding a carb cleaner to your fuel just as a matter of course, by way of preventative maintenance. Will it clear then out a bit, giving better efficiency/performance, or would it be a waste of money? I have used my bike daily for the past 8 years, always using good quality fuel, so would like to think it is not necessary. Or am I missing out on a world of breezey riding, long since forgotten as the miles have passed and the rot set in?

Comment

Fuel system treatments are a wise precaution, but given your riding habits (daily use, high detergent fuels), you might not notice any difference. I run a fuel system cleaner (Techron) through with the last full gas tank I'll burn through before each oil change, to remove any gummy fuel residues that might be clogging up the smaller passages.

As for the Lucas Fuel Treatment, according to their MSDS sheet and their own marketing materials, is not a fuel system cleaner in the same sense as the other stuff that's popular around KR, but rather a way of delivering extra oil into the cylinders and carbs. His fuel mileage increase was probably a combination of riding for a long straight stretch (highway miles are inherently better for fuel mileage than stop-n-go urban transit), plus possibly a bit of extra oil at the rings reducing blow-by. My guess is that he would have had virtually exactly the same mileage if he did the same speed on the same stretch without the Lucas treatment.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've used Seafoam in every internal combustion engine powered 'vehicle' I've owned for the last 20 years..I got turned on to it when I was growing up racing MX and dirt track. I also run the stuff in the crankcase a few days before planned oil changes. It's also great for cleaning the top end on engines by sucking it up through a vacuum hose while the engine is running...

Now as far as cleaning the top end...ATF and water can potentially do the same thing...Seafoam just tends to work a bit 'faster' and since it's @ $5 a can, it gets the nod.

I've personally seen the valves on several different engines (1 a 4 stroke riding lawnmower, another a V-8 in a truck) that were CAKED with build up and crap. The lawnmower was so bad, I was going to take the thing apart, because several of the valves were actually sticking because of the build up.

I ran a half a can of Seafoam thru each, while it was running, sucking it up through a vacuum hose....making sure not to get too much in it. Then letting it heat soak for several minutes. The mower and the truck smoked like freight trains for awhile after that....then I changed the oil, and I couldn't believe the difference in how they ran.

I had the opportunity to look at the valves in BOTH vehicles again and the difference was night and day.

It's not a miracle in a can..but it can clean up alot of the crap that build up over time and poor maintenance from PO's.

My old truck is still kicking after selling it 3 years ago. I convinced the new owner (a co-worker) to add a half can of Seafoam every 3 or 4 fill ups and to clean the top end out with the other half about once a year.

That and Mobil 1 full synthetic every 7500 miles.....

The truck had @ 30k on it when I got it. It now has 275k....yes that's 275,000 miles. It runs fine. It's on it's 3rd or 4th tranny, but it runs great LOL.. He says it burns (no smoke) leaks almost a half quart when he goes to change the oil.

Just my opinion / experiences, YMMV

Chris

Comment

Coool... I have four bikes now including the wifeys and my goldwing only gets driven on long rides so it sits quite a bit. A few months back I had taken a ride on it and it cut out a couple of times when I was about 120 miles out. A buddy of mine "WAG" from hayabusa.org and a fellow rider told me about seafoam. So at the last fill up on the goldwing a put a bit too much in but figured it would be okay. I rode the goldwing on Monday out on a 280? mile ride and it ran great no sputter and it actually did do better on gas cause I didn't have to push it so hard. Anyhow worked great so a bit went into each bike...

Comment

Where can you buy seafoam? Autozone??
              96 Katana 600
              97 4 door Blazer LT
              03 Honda Pilot EXL
              sigpic

Comment

I bought mine at pepboys but found it way cheaper at walmart...

Comment

Working...
                X