Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Will 2nd generation exhaust fit a 1st generation bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 2nd generation exhaust fit a 1st generation bike?

I'm looking to put a 4-into-1 exhaust on my '94 750. Do I have to find one from another '88-'97 or can I use one from a newer Kat? How about one from a GSXR? Will others match up or am I restricted to using one specifically for a 1st generation 750?

I know something about that has been said on here before, but I do not remember. I do know that you can NOT use a header from a new style GSX-R because the engines are water cooled and the spacing between cylinders are different. Thus the space between exhaust ports will be off.

Hope someone else will reply with the answer to the pre98 vs. post 98 for ya.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

From what I understand, the use of a 98+ exhaust header on a 88 - 97 Kat requires either the pipes be bent a bit to clear the oil pan, or swapping oil pans to the newer one (which is a direct-bolt-on, but slightly different in shape). Pipes from the older oil-air cooled GSXR with the same displacement will also fit, but pipes from the water cooled models will not. Note that there may not be an advantage to going to the GSXR exhausts for the 750 models, as their strokes were longer and the bore was shorter, so the exhaust pipe probably wouldn't have any additional cross-sectional area.

Taking your existing pipes and grinding out the weld seams on the inside of the header mounting flanges can gain you quite a bit of through-put without any significant cost. Search for Trinc's thread on how to do it...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        or swapping oil pans to the newer one (which is a direct-bolt-on, but slightly different in shape).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        So, what do you mean by direct bolt on, but different shape. Do you mean it bolt right on, but is just more shallow so that the pipes clear? Or is the pan a different shape meaning it doesn't fit on the bottom end of the motor correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
          Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          or swapping oil pans to the newer one (which is a direct-bolt-on, but slightly different in shape).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          So, what do you mean by direct bolt on, but different shape. Do you mean it bolt right on, but is just more shallow so that the pipes clear? Or is the pan a different shape meaning it doesn't fit on the bottom end of the motor correctly.
          Other's who have gone this route have said the 98+ pan is shorter in the front but still has the same mating surfaces for the bottom of the engine, permitting you to use new-style headers without rebending/denting them to clear the oil pan. Search around for mention of it, as I'm just passing on something I've heard, not something I've dealt with myself.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i would check the sticky about installing larger motors in smaller frames i belive it gives some info on enhaust mounting and what u can and cannot use.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            Lean in Lean out.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
            2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
            2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
            2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The 98+ exhaust will fit a pre98 as CP stated. Either the collector will need to be dented to clear the pre98 oil pan or a 98+ oil pan will need to be installed. The other problem is the frame mounting point and the 98+ canister mounting point won't line up so something will have to be fabbed.
              '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Working...
              X