X

Need some advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

I decided to save myself some money and change the oil myself instead of paying a stealership 100 bucks. Well it appears that the previous owner didnt own a torque wrench cause that plug was in there something fierce. I finally got it to break loose along with most of the treads from the pan. Nothing will make you want to cry faster than seeing threads coming out in the oil.

So my question what is the best/cheapest/safest way to fix this?
    1) New pan
    2) Helicoil kit
    3) Self tapping oil plug
    4) Retap it then use bigger plug

Well, dont feel bad, the dealership would have probably stripped it out too, and at least now you can fix it and not have to pay dealer prices to have it done. The way I would fix it is a new pan, but that is because I have a couple extra pans laying around This would also be the best, the best cheap way Im not sure about, I have never really trusted Helicoil, but that is just my personal opinion. I dont suppose I have any real reasoning for that though.
    If Knowledge is Power, There are a lot of very weak people out there!!!

'97 TLS It's the "WILD, HAIRY-ARSED, NUN-RAPING VIKING PSYCHOPATH!" with M4 complete exhaust, PCII, -1front +2 rear, airbox mod, R motor with pairvalve mod, temp sensor relocation mod, and oil cooler mod

Comment

This is a large size to hilicoil, I think the kit required to do the job would pay for a used pan, new plug and a few crush washers..

Short term? (is it riding weather?)
      Lock-tite makes thread repair compunds.
      However you may not be able to get the torque required to crush the washer.. so onto fitting an o-ring. But I say replace the pan.
      However.....
      Since you suggested hilicoils do you have the means to weld a plate in then drill tap the new threads?.....

Comment

I am in Texas on the Gulf Coast so it is always riding weather. In fact I am was supposed to go to Austin 4/8-4/9, so I am trying my best to get it fixed in time.

I was going to a machine shop and do the helicoil for 20 bucks, but I am afraid it will leak. Does anyone have any used pans for sale that will fit an 01 750?

Comment

Someone must have a pan.. Though the best bet (Special K )
          is on injured reserve..

Sorry I missed the TX..

Gee heres a deal.. maybe you can get it to hold untill the auction ends??

Comment

Thanks for that link. SlytlyDeranged has one for a pre 98 but I am not sure if it will fit correctly.

Comment

Check with Cyber...He could answer that question...Have you tried ebay for a pan?
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

take your pan off - take it to a welder and have them weld a plug thats been drilled out for a new drain plug.

tim

Comment

OK, here's my "Best" solution:

[EDIT: I just scanned Fumoto and they don't offer a 15mm drain valve nor 9/16", so it becomes a choice of 16mm, which may too much material being removed if retapping a 14mm hole to 16mm. This forces a different solution, such as Thread-Certing it or adding material back onto it to permit recutting the 14mm thread].

Original post:
                  Thead tap it from the stock size to the next viable size up. Get in touch with www.fumotovalve.com and order the appropriate size/thread valve ($23 plus shipping). Cut away the ridge as required to install the fumoto valve. Install the oil drain valve. Never screw with the torque requirement again.

If you take off the oil pan to tap it and cut the ridge off, replace the oil pan gasket ($12 at the dealership, $8 mail order). If you've never had the pan off before, expect to see lots of shavings (this is from the original engine break-in -- the honeycomb on the inside holds them in place).

When you put the bolts back into the pan to remount it (the ones that hold the pan to the engine), be gentle -- the bolts are 10 lb-ft torque, which isn't much.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Too bad Cyber!!!
                    Nlit3n:
                    This was a great fix idea....

Back to the Ebay pan..

Comment

Cant Cyber beat me to it. But he is going to sell me his old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nlit3n
                        Cant Cyber beat me to it. But he is going to sell me his old one.
                        Same price... I just need another pan so I can drill & tap a smaller oil temp sender than the one I have in there now -- he can have my pan instead (and just leave the sender there disconnected). Even-swap, same price I paid, win-win scenario.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together!!

Comment

Got another question when I put the pan back in do I need to put locktite on the bolts? I know i need to put red locktite on the exhaust bolt and when I took the pan off some bolts looked like they had white locktite on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nlit3n
                              Got another question when I put the pan back in do I need to put locktite on the bolts? I know i need to put red locktite on the exhaust bolt and when I took the pan off some bolts looked like they had white locktite on it.
                              No locktite on the oil pan bolts. They don't have any on them from the factory, and the factory manual doesn't spec it.
                              BTW the oil pan gasket I sent you is underway... it hit the post office in a timely manner, although I wanted to sleep all day today (and am still tired for some reason).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X