X

Gas Tank Leaking Gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Leaking Gas

Well my gas tank has sprung a leak. GRRRRRRRR so angry!! This morning I went outside to chane the spark plugs on my bike and noticed what seemed to be a patch of frost on corner of the gas tank... I was like WTF? When I smelled the frost it was gas and was coming out of a little rust hole on the tank.

It's a small rust leak on the back lower corner of the gas tank near the seat.

Anyone know if I can get this fixed? Or do I have to buy a new gas tank?

You can fix it with POR-15's deluxe repair kit ($45), but I wouldn't recommend it. If you have one hole, you're likely to have other spots that are very, very thin and apt to want to rust-through as well, or even if they don't rust through, would be weak in case of an accident.

Best solution:
    Buy another tank used and get the cheap POR-15 gas-tank rust kit ($32) to seal it permanently, so you never face this issue again.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah, what Cyber said!!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

yep, +2 on what the poet said

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          You can fix it with POR-15's deluxe repair kit ($45), but I wouldn't recommend it. If you have one hole, you're likely to have other spots that are very, very thin and apt to want to rust-through as well, or even if they don't rust through, would be weak in case of an accident.

Best solution:
          Buy another tank used and get the cheap POR-15 gas-tank rust kit ($32) to seal it permanently, so you never face this issue again.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Hey good idea!

Thanks man, will try to find a used tank.

Comment

Definately what Cyber said. I've also got rust holes on the left back side near the seat - and trust me, don't waste your time fixing it if you're not a good welder. I've tried different epoxy stuff (one like JB-weld and another standard epoxy), low-temp soldering and similar stuff for a few months, but it doesnt hold for long, partly due to the exposed position - I'm storing my lock under the seat, so I take the seat off all the time, wearing on the fixes. The rust expands all the time too, cracking the epoxy. And if you've got one hole, there will be more coming (mine's got several).

I'm getting this one and considering to seal it straight away... There are two more on there (german eBay) and nobody but me bidding - seems to be buyers market 8)
            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
              Definately what Cyber said. I've also got rust holes on the left back side near the seat - and trust me, don't waste your time fixing it if you're not a good welder. I've tried different epoxy stuff (one like JB-weld and another standard epoxy), low-temp soldering and similar stuff for a few months, but it doesnt hold for long, partly due to the exposed position - I'm storing my lock under the seat, so I take the seat off all the time, wearing on the fixes. The rust expands all the time too, cracking the epoxy. And if you've got one hole, there will be more coming (mine's got several).

I'm getting this one and considering to seal it straight away... There are two more on there (german eBay) and nobody but me bidding - seems to be buyers market 8)
              Hey,

Wow I wish I could buy those tanks from Germany, but I think that the shipping price will probably kill me and I don't even know if they will ship to Toronto, Canada. I will try to send them an English email.. hopefully they will understand what I'm trying to ask!

I am taking my gas tank to a Radiator and Gas Tank shop and hopefully they will be able to repair it. If not, then I will most likely buy a used one from Germany, cause I am not seeing any good used ones in North America.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiwookie
                Hey,

Wow I wish I could buy those tanks from Germany, but I think that the shipping price will probably kill me and I don't even know if they will ship to Toronto, Canada. I will try to send them an English email.. hopefully they will understand what I'm trying to ask!

I am taking my gas tank to a Radiator and Gas Tank shop and hopefully they will be able to repair it. If not, then I will most likely buy a used one from Germany, cause I am not seeing any good used ones in North America.
                Try one of these (don't bid on mine )

The latter one has a quite steep starting price, though...
                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiwookie
                  Don't even both with the repair shop -- it's not worth it. You can find them on ebay here in the USA (this is from searching "Katana Gas" in eBay Motors):

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Check with SpecialK when he gets better, he might have some lying around (he did some months ago).
                    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Gas tank leaking gas? Oh, thats like an oil pan leaking oil. I get it now! Good thing 7-UP was not coming out of it.

Comment

Thanks again Cyber and Yellow!

Hopefully I can find something good on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                        X