X

Gas Tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank

OK... so I took off my gas tank after it sat for a good long while (year-ish) and when I dumped out the petro, it was brown from rust. So what do ya'll think? New tank? just fill her up and blast it out? throw in sand, give it a shake, clean it out and let her rip? Just lookin for some pointers...

Thanks!!
    sola dosis facit venenum
    (only the dose makes the poison)

yeah, you've come to the right place if you want tank cleaning advice. Use the Yamaha tank clean kit and follow the directions. I know someone gonna say use the POR 15 kit, which is also good, but the Yamaha kit is the best, no doubt about it.

Comment

OK, so I found the POR 15 kit, but I can't find the yamaha one... even on Yamaha's page... Any idea on where to look? Maybe an actual shop I know, but will the parts guy look at me crosseyed when I ask???
      sola dosis facit venenum

Comment

Only if he's a dolt ..... in which case go to a different shop from now on .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here's the full bit:
          CyberPoet's "How to deal with rust in your motorcycle gas tank"

And since no one seems to read the disclaimer first, here it is:
          If your gas tank has rust that has moved all the way through the base metal, as evidenced by paint bubbling on the exterior of the tank or as leaks through the tank, do not use any of these methods, but instead replace the tank with a known-good one (new or used). None of the methods above will add any significant structural integrity to your tank, and you don't want to be riding with a tank that is ready to split like an over-ripe watermelon the first time it hits the ground (or might even breach on a simple hard jostle to the suspension, such as a pot hole), because it could easily translate into meaning that you are turned into a fireball (and subsequent death or spending an awfully long and painful visit in a burn trauma ward).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Rock On!!! Thanks for your help! I'll give this a go...
            sola dosis facit venenum

Comment

Working...
            X