X

Power Commanders...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Commanders...

I'm looking for some real world experience here. I've read up on it on the PC website, and a couple other places, but i want to hear about what people have thought about them based on experience/ word of mouth.

Thanks
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

I think Owlman, or one of the Ottawa lads (Range, or Junior) got them on their Daytonas.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Depends on the bike.

I've heard (haven't been able to test this yet) that on the Daytona the Power Commander really helps with the midrange and removes the flat spots. Of course you either need someone that already has created a custom map for your bike with an aftermarket exhaust or you need to get it dyno'd and tuned when you install the PCIII. You can always play around with it yourself since it comes with software that allows you to adjust all the levels , but it could take alot of attempts before getting one near perfect.

From everyone I've talked to it is well worth the $$$$ when it is tuned properly.

Btw, SWEET RC!!!!!! 8)

Check out the Honda boards... there might be some people willing to share their maps with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
        Depends on the bike.

I've heard (haven't been able to test this yet) that on the Daytona the Power Commander really helps with the midrange and removes the flat spots. Of course you either need someone that already has created a custom map for your bike with an aftermarket exhaust or you need to get it dyno'd and tuned when you install the PCIII. You can always play around with it yourself since it comes with software that allows you to adjust all the levels , but it could take alot of attempts before getting one near perfect.

From everyone I've talked to it is well worth the $$$$ when it is tuned properly.

Btw, SWEET RC!!!!!! 8)

Check out the Honda boards... there might be some people willing to share their maps with you.
        thanks bro. i'll have to check out those boards..

Comment

The PowerCommanders are the bomb for fuel-injected bikes. I like the PCIII-USB because virtually every laptop has an USB port these days. Whether you can connect the computer to the bike or if you have to pull the PCIII out and take it to the computer plays heavily into it, as you can pull data from the O2 sensors (if your bike has them) while it's plugged in, but not if you have to pull the unit out.

KNOW THIS:
          Always scan the manufacturer's site for the PowerCommander to see if they have pre-made maps for your particular year/model/exhaust; if they do, it means they have tweaked the data file already for that combination (and it becomes a definite buy!).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            The PowerCommanders are the bomb for fuel-injected bikes. I like the PCIII-USB because virtually every laptop has an USB port these days. Whether you can connect the computer to the bike or if you have to pull the PCIII out and take it to the computer plays heavily into it, as you can pull data from the O2 sensors (if your bike has them) while it's plugged in, but not if you have to pull the unit out.

KNOW THIS:
            Always scan the manufacturer's site for the PowerCommander to see if they have pre-made maps for your particular year/model/exhaust; if they do, it means they have tweaked the data file already for that combination (and it becomes a definite buy!).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet

so basically, is it worth the money? will i get much power? will the ride be smoother?

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
              so basically, is it worth the money? will i get much power? will the ride be smoother?
              IMHO - If you have a fuel-injected bike, YES. PERIOD.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

YES...and it can be custom tuned.....get a K&N while your at it

Comment

The Power Commander is definitely the best for you RC, especially if you can get some Dyno time, you can remap it with the program that comes with.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

we have a client at the office who owns a racing team (like the endurance type races), and they have friends that do bikes....so maybe i'll try and get the hook up with something nuts but if not, i'll try a PC

Comment

you will still want to run a commander bro
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Power Commanders are great. However, you really SHOULD get a custom map created for it for YOUR bike. Every bike is different. Just because your bike has the same mods as another bike that a map was created for doesn't mean you're going to get the best results. Not only is every bike different, but elevation, humidity, etc come into play as well.

Most shops charge about $200 - $250 for a custom map. If you're going to shell out that much for a PC, why do it half a$$?

Oh, and don't go with a K&N filter. The OEM paper filter on any bike flows PLENTY of air unless you do significant internal engine mods. Even with a full exhaust, your stock fiter is perfectly fine. Now, your airbox may be restricted from the factory and should be derestricted if need-be, but that has nothing to do with the filter itself. (Unless you're dealing with a Katana where the airbox intake is actually the base of the air filter itself)
                        -Steve

Comment

some or most of that cost is Dyno time. It takes alot of Dyno time to get a bike mapped properly.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

hey thaz...i know someone who has a dyno and i could probably get access to it for a pretty decent rate.

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
                              hey thaz...i know someone who has a dyno and i could probably get access to it for a pretty decent rate.
                              hook me up Steve!
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                              X