Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What can cause choke to kill the engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can cause choke to kill the engine?

What's up people,

I had my carbs fixed up about a month or so, and ever since then the choke has killed the bike. I have gotten by without using the choke (blipping throttle when I start it and holding it alive for a short time). I don't know what the person that serviced the carbs might have done..

Before they were serviced I had a high idle after warm up (3,200 or so), but the choke worked just dandy... now I don't have the high idle, but any time I turn the choke on, it immediately kills the bike..

What can be causing this? (I've ignored it because it doesn't matter once I get the bike started, but I want to get everything on the bike working as it should, and when it gets colder out I'll need that choke). My plugs don't look like they're fouling from being rich or anything, in fact they are much better then they were when I had the high idle.

The reason is that the bike is now jetted much richer.

The choke is a misnomer on the Kats -- it's actually an "enricher" circuit in the carb that dumps more fuel into the mixture (as verses to a true choke, which reduces the amount of air coming in, increasing the vacuum level and the speed of the air through the carbs). When you add choke, it's almost assuredly making the mixture too rich to detonate in the cylinder (i.e. somewhere south of a 13:1 fuel ratio at idle).

If you had a jetkit put in, or the jetting messed with, this isn't uncommon behavior, especially in summer weather (where fuel vaporizes easier).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , when my bike's warm , the choke'll kill it . Only use it when the bike's cold anyway .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

PS - your choke isn't ON-OFF; it has an almost infinite range of settings. You might find a tiny amount of choke helps where a lot of choke kills it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X