X

Ignition Coil Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil Question

I need to get new ignition coils, and I'm looking on ebay. Will the Coils from the old GSXRs fit? They look the same so I figure, they must be (judging a book by its cover, you know how it is). Anyhoo, if anyone knows anything about ignition coils and can warn me of any possible impending doom, that would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys (and gals)

I would think the GSXR coils might put out to much spark unless you are running a jet kit and full exhaust.

I could be wrong, but when it comes to the electroincs of the such, I would stick with stockunless getting upgrade.

I beleive Dennis Kirk carries coils and such, or you could get them through a dealer, but would prolly be a bit spendy.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

well the katana 600 coils are rated at 2 - 4 ohms primary resistance, 30,000 - 40,000 secondary resistance, and 8mm of arcing distance. the gsx-r has resistances of 3 - 5 and a secondary of 25,000 - 45,000 so they are different.

Comment

at the least on a stock Kat you will have to richen it up do to a hot spark
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

can you really have too much spark?

I also checked my Clymer manual, and it said the primary resistance should be 3-5 ohms and the secondary 25,000 to 45,000 for the kat. Can anyone confirm this with a service manual?

Danke Schon

Comment

according to the suzuki factory service manual the primary resistance on the 89 kat 699 is between 2 and 4 ohms. Secondary resistance across the plug cap is 12 - 18 k ohms. The secondary resistanc does contradict the Haynes manual which states 30000 - 40000 ohms, but both the factory manual and the haynes manual states primary at 2 - 4 where the GSX-R is 3 - 5.

Comment

it would probably work fine. As an extra check, see if the stock plugs are the same for the kat as the early gixxers. If yes, I would try it , but only if I could get coils for all 4 cyclinders.
              Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

ah HA! a manual contradiction. well, I think I'll get the GSXR coils just in case and give em a go.

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

I put GSXR 1100 cams in my bike and it runs faster and better. I think a lot of the GSXR stuff will work fine on the kat 750, since the kat is built off of it.

Comment

The Gixxer cams are a must mod IMHO

they especially ROCK in the pre98's
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The bike is real quick to a 100 now(fastest i have taken it on the highway). Now I have to replace the clutch plates again, since it slips at 10500 rpm in 3rd under full throttle. I cant wait to take the bike to the drag strip again and see what it will do after the mods. I am waiting to get the Hindle I ordered before I completely sort out the Ivans jet kit.

Comment

Huh , those cams affect the bottom end any ? I never seems to run much above 8-9K RPM's , anyway ...
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i have '92 gixxer carbs on my '91 kat 750, V&H SS2R header w/exhaust, and K&N pod filters. i was thinking of doing the DIY ignition advancer when (IF) i get my bike back. would there be any additional tuning if i also added gsxr coils? what years of the gixxer? what year gsxr 1100 cams would i want to look for as well?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                          "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

I dont know if there is an advatage for the 1100 gixer cams vs the 750 cams cams. I looked for both and could only get the 1100 cams on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                            X