X

need some upgrade help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some upgrade help

ok, heres the story (bear with me if it makes no sense) About 5 days ago I pulled off my tank off my '98 600 to check the air filter and spark plugs because I've never done it and I figured it was time to check it out. Well when we put everything we inadvertently left the fuel switch on prime, which it stayed on for 4 days. The air box was completely full as well as my filter being soaked with gas, the plugs were wet too. I took them out yesterday to let everything dry out. Now heres the question. IF the air filter has dried out, can it be reused or do i have to buy a new one? If a new one needs to be purchased, should I upgrade to the K&N filter and does a jet kit need to be installed OR can the 1/5 trick work to offset. Also, We gutted my Yoshi slip on, I think i lost some back pressure, can this 1/5 carb trick offset this along with the d-i-y ignition advancer? or should i buy a re-pack kit until i can afford a jet kit and get a factory filter?

Thanks in advance for all the responses

why did you gut the slip-on?

You should change the oil and I would go ahead and replace the filter with a factory filter. The k&n one causes a tuning nightmare.

what is the 1/5 carb trick?

Comment

adjusting the screws at the bottom of the carbs 1/5 of a turn...cyberpoet posted something about ding it before getting a jet kit, b/c the carbs are dialed in slightly lean from the factory

Comment

we gutted the slip on to make it louder...it sounds kool, nice, open, loud, and deep-ish. but i think I lost some backpressure. and the carb trick is adjusting the screws at the bottom of the carbs 1/5 of a turn...cyberpoet posted something about doing it before getting a jet kit, b/c the carbs are dialed in slightly lean from the factory. its posed to help get some performance out of it if you cant afford a kit. its not as good as the jet kit. but hey, when you aint got the money, you take what you can get

Comment

Originally posted by BigDreamsAndNoMoney
          we gutted the slip on to make it louder...it sounds kool, nice, open, loud, and deep-ish. but i think I lost some backpressure. and the carb trick is adjusting the screws at the bottom of the carbs 1/5 of a turn...cyberpoet posted something about doing it before getting a jet kit, b/c the carbs are dialed in slightly lean from the factory. its posed to help get some performance out of it if you cant afford a kit. its not as good as the jet kit. but hey, when you aint got the money, you take what you can get
          you could have just traded it for a D&D, the exhausts are designed to work with the bike changing that design does not improve it.

Comment

If you left it on prime and got gas spilling everywhere , you got more problems then an adjustment . Like your floats ain't doing what they should be .
            And from what I've heard , once the air filter gets all gassy , it's toast .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X