sputter in low 2k-3k rpms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sputter in low 2k-3k rpms

Hi all,
    recently my bike has a sputter when i pull out in first gear, specifically between 1k and 3k, almost feels like it will stall, but once I reach 3k+ the power has returned and is there through out the entire rpm band above 3k

This has just started a couple days ago, I have new plugs (2-3 months old), and never had a problem with the carbs before...I went out and bought STP fuel injector cleaner, so hopefully that might help.

Any ideas?

probably carbs. Clean and re-sync. That should sovle your problem. If it's sputtering becuse your engine is starved of fuel you may be running lean. Possibly adjust your fuel to air mixture. By the way use techron fuel system cleaner, considering you don't have fuel injectors, STP fuel injector cleaner will do nothing for you.

Comment

no, its for carburated engines as well, its just called injection cleaner (something similar to that)..

I dont know how to clean carbs or resynch, or adjust idle mix...and i know its not cheap at a shop...sigh

Thanks

Comment

well check that all spark plugs are tight if they are loose you may have low compression and that could cause it to run rough at low rpm's. Could also be weak spark, like a coil problem.

Comment

hmm interesting, didnt think of that

Comment

Had similar problem last summer.

Started about 10-15 minutes after stopping at gast station to fill up.

So the next morning, drained fuel, added fresh fuel from another place, ran fine the next ride. Guess I had some old gas, or maybe even some water in there... Lesson learned, always fuel up at stations where many people go, that way gas in their tanks is never "old"...

My 2 cents...

Comment

Yea, I was thinking about that as well, maybe Ill go up another grade (91)once this goes empty.

I hope its something as simple as that!

Comment

Don't go up a grade if that's what was working before . Otherwise you're just paying more for less performance .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

It could be that your float is set too low. I put a jet kit in my bike and am looking at the tunning page, it indicates that my floats are too low. SInce bike has flat spot at 2-3k.
                  Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

I have the same problem..... And was reading thru my bro's jet kit papers and read that..... I think I'm gonna rip the carbs off and up the floats and see what happens.....
                    '07 SV1000S
                    Power Commander III USB
                    M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                    Driven 520 chain kit
                    Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

well the strange thing is, i havent put a jet kit in, its stock...ive made no mods to it, but in any case if that helps you guys please fill me in

Comment

Originally posted by illinoiskat View Post
                        It could be that your float is set too low. I put a jet kit in my bike and am looking at the tunning page, it indicates that my floats are too low. SInce bike has flat spot at 2-3k.
                        I know this thread is way old, but how did that work out for you? I'm having the same sputter problem in the same range.
                        Let's go riding!

Comment

Last Activity: 06-10-2006 10:43 AM

Comment

Just under 4 years. Oldest Zombie I've seen yet.

Comment

oil change

Anyone know how many quarts of oil I need to add when doing an oil change? I put three but it's cutting off when I put it in first gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X