X

Oil on gas cap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on gas cap

So occasionally, I find beads of oil on top of the gas cap. Anyone else seen this?

The only cause I can come up with is my tank bag suffocating the gas cap, forcing it to breathe through its fuel overflow line that runs down beside the air box drain tube, drawing in expelled oil from the air box.

Am I crazy? Local mechanics think I've got friends playing games with me, but I don't have any friends! It couldn't happen!
    "Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik
    00 Blue VFR800, '99 Blue Katana 750

is it oil, or fuel or water from condensation. I cant think of any reason oil would be on top of your gas tank
    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
      is it oil, or fuel or water from condensation. I cant think of any reason oil would be on top of your gas tank
      Feels, smells and *ahem* tastes like motor oil.
      "Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik

Comment

Is it perhaps on your keys for some reason and transferring over? Or lock lubricant?

I've never seen it happen before that motor oil from the engine migrates to the gas cap... But I suppose your concept is possible. Remember that the airbox drain should be capped off whenever the engine is running...

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Remember that the airbox drain should be capped off whenever the engine is running...
          I can't. It looks like some previous maintenance left the airbox drain line against the muffler and the cap and most of the end of the line got melted off. I've tried capping it by wrapped it with electrical tape, but that doesn't do so well against oil. I haven't revisited it since.

sadrik

Comment

Originally posted by sadrik
            Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Remember that the airbox drain should be capped off whenever the engine is running...
            I can't. It looks like some previous maintenance left the airbox drain line against the muffler and the cap and most of the end of the line got melted off. I've tried capping it by wrapped it with electrical tape, but that doesn't do so well against oil. I haven't revisited it since.
            Replace the line and the cap. They're not expensive, and there are aftermarket lines that are color-coordinated to the bike paints

Without the cap, you're sucking crap from the end of that hose straight into the airbox (past the filter, so it gets no filtration) and onward into the engine.

Thought: are you sure no one connected the gas cap drain to the airbox drain outlet?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X