X

Oil light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Oh, and on a sidenote (I'll cover it in another posting): I put in an oil temp gauge and sender this past weekend. 78 degrees ambient, within 3 miles the oil temp was higher than the 260 degree (F) top reading the gauge displays, and stayed that way cruising at a steady 85 mph for the next 45 minutes... Brand new oil, full up to the full line and then a little bit. Obviously I need a better gauge -- but it also shows how much more thermal stress oil-air cooled motorcycles like the Kat create than water-cooled engines (I've never seen a water-cooled engine's oil go past 245 or so).
    Did you calibrate the sensor/gauge against a good reference?
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
      Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      Oh, and on a sidenote (I'll cover it in another posting): I put in an oil temp gauge and sender this past weekend. 78 degrees ambient, within 3 miles the oil temp was higher than the 260 degree (F) top reading the gauge displays, and stayed that way cruising at a steady 85 mph for the next 45 minutes... Brand new oil, full up to the full line and then a little bit. Obviously I need a better gauge -- but it also shows how much more thermal stress oil-air cooled motorcycles like the Kat create than water-cooled engines (I've never seen a water-cooled engine's oil go past 245 or so).
      Did you calibrate the sensor/gauge against a good reference?
      No, but I felt didn't really need to -- I knew it was going to top out past 260 (F); I mistakenly had thought the gauge was rated to 300 degrees C not 300 degrees F -- and even at 300 degrees F it doesn't display above 260 (just says "HI"). I'll track down the right gauge today.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Man, if you guys need any computer help, or a webpage built, drop me a line. Seems to be the only thing I am good at these days. But i serioualy owe you one.

Comment

Working...
        X