Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is it a common place to leak oil from???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a common place to leak oil from???

I believe that I found the spot where the slow leak is comming from. It seems as (at least that's what the trail of grease and dirt is pointing to) that the seal that holds the gear shift lever in place may be just a little loose/deterrirated. I looked up the part and I believe that this is it:
    Part Number: 09285-12002
    Description: SHIFT SHAFT OIL
    Price: $1.52

Is it possible to leak and if so will it be easy to replace. I had the countersprocket cover off before to replace nautral switch, so that part is no big deal, I'm not dure what to expect when trying to take this part out for replacement. Also it leams as this is just a rubber gasket, but I can't really tell from the fiche.

Any advice (good at least) always appreciated

what year and engine size?

Comment

For a $1.50, it would be worth it to order it even if you don't need it. Use your local dealer, so you don't have to pay $7 shipping...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was wondering if anyone ever replaced one? I'm hoping that this is just some sorf of a seal that I can just pull out and insert another one, but I'm not quite sure.

Comment

Post the link to the parts diagram... that will let us look at it and give a reasonable estimate (as well as pointing us at the right year/model).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

2000 Kat 600 with about 11000 miles.
            The link to the diagram:

It is number 32 on the diagram. It seems as it just slides on onto the gear shart, but anything that seals oil inside can't be that easy. I'm hoping that It's not pressed onto the shaft, that would require a special tool to remove. Thanks a lot.

Comment

yeah that is most certainly an oil seal. as far as removal and istallation it's looks pretty simple. Remove shift lever. Remove clip and washer from shift shaft. Remove clutch. Remove gearshift shaft and cam drive gear. Than pry out the gear shift shaft seal with a flat head screwdriver. Place new one in the bore with the lip facing into the engine, and tap the seal in with a socket of the same diameter. Hope that helps you might be able to do it without taking the gearshift shaft out which would mean you caould leave the clutch in, but I don't know. If you can pry it out of the bore with the shiftshaft in than go for it, otherwise it's a time consuming job, not to hard thought. Get a haynes manual, for help in removing the clutch.

Comment

If item 32 is bad, check item 41 isn't bent & is still centered, check the setting on linkage between 28 & 40, and pray the shaft (item #26) isn't bent. Usually it takes quite a bit of force to lopside the seal enough to cause it to fail, unless chemicals ate away at it excessively.

Meanwhile, at $1.52, order two and replace it, plus have a spare around

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPeot
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                  X