X

Valve Clearance Tools

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Clearance Tools

Im going to be doing my valve clearance myself this year but I am not sure which tools are required. I don't know where to get them either. If anyone can help me with some info it would be great!

ps. Does anyone know if the tool to take out the shims is the same for the GSX-F as the early GS's (1980 GS 850L to be exact) ? My buddy has it, which is why I am asking.
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

89 750 = screw type adjusters. Suzuki part nr 09917-14910 is a tool for turning the adjusters, it works great and it's cheap, 4-5 $... I got mine from SpecialK but I guess any Suzuki dealer can get it for you.

Then you would need tools to get to the valves, of course. A torque wrench with a suitable range (I use a 1/4" 5-25 Nm) and short metric allen bits is great for the valve cover (I think the cover bolts are 6 mm).
    The locknuts on the adjusters are 8 mm...

You'd want some feelers to check the clearances too, of course...

Good luck! You'll find out that the hardest part is getting everything out of the way, and putting it back. I did mine this weekend... Now the bike is running great!
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

The tool is cheap..
      The after market manual shows vise grips and an open end wrench.. But for 4 or 5 buck??
      I'd buy the tool..

Hey Yellow.. what happened with your forks??

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        The tool is cheap..
        The after market manual shows vise grips and an open end wrench.. But for 4 or 5 buck??
        I'd buy the tool..

Hey Yellow.. what happened with your forks??
        Been wrenching on the bike the whole weekend, and riding it all day today, so I haven't been on KR so much to answer...

Found some oil at a dealer thursday, put it in saturday. The seals work fine, no leaks - and the suspension feels much better.
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Thanks guys! Looking forward to doing them.
          1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

I have been thinking of doing my adjustment on my 02 this weekend, does anyone know of a list of parts I may be needing. Such as gaskets, etc. Also if anyone knows where to find the specs that too would be awesome. 8)

Comment

The factory manual doesn't list any parts other than the adjustment tool and the suzuki bond, but if your head cover gasket looks like crap, replace it.

While you have the cover off you may want to get some plasti gauge and check the cams and journals for wear, and if your really motivated you can check valve stem runout, but to just adjust the valve clearance here is the procedure:

valve clearance (when cold) 0.10 - 0.15 mm or
              (0.004 - 0.006 in)

turn the crakshaft (19 mm wrench) to bring the "T" mark on the rotor to the center of the pick up coil and also bring the notches at the right ends of both camshafts to the proper position.

If your looking at the right ends of the cams than the left cam is intake and the right is exhaust.

With the notches on the cams facing outward
              (<-- and -->) you are top dead center 1.

In position "C" adjust the I(intake) and E(exhaust) on cylinder 1, E on #2 and I on #4.

Rotate the crank 360 degrees to top deat center 4 (both notches facing inward (--> and <--) and adjust I and E on #4, E on #3, and I on #2.

By the way when you turn the crank, turn it in the normal running position, and all spark plugs should be removed.

When installing the cylinder head cover apply Suzuki Bond # 1207B (99104-31140) to the head cover groove and cam end cap.

Head cover torque is 9.5 - 11 lb-ft

If you need more info, or pictures cheack out Tim's (trinc) how to's. He has a greaat write up on a lot of maintence procedures.

Comment

You forgot exhaust valve clearance, they are 0.18-0.23 mm (0.007 - 0.009 inches) for his bike (2002 750).
                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I like the suzuki tool for dealing with the square, but MotionPro makes a single kit that has both the nut adjuster and the square adaptor, as well as the other sizes used in all other standard jap bikes (including slot adaptors, 9mm nut, etc). Bit pricey ($43 SRP), and I wish they were bigger (or my hands were smaller), but it makes the process faster.

visit http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/servicetools_3.html and look for the Tappet Tool Set. Available via any PartsUnlimited supported dealership or parts source.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oh crap, I listed the specs for the 600. Well the process is the same. I believe the intake clearance and torque specs are the same as well. Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                      oh crap, I listed the specs for the 600. Well the process is the same. I believe the intake clearance and torque specs are the same as well. Sorry for the confusion, my mistake.
                      98+ 600 and 750 engines share the same clearance specs for the valves.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by xtreme3
                        I have been thinking of doing my adjustment on my 02 this weekend, does anyone know of a list of parts I may be needing. Such as gaskets, etc. Also if anyone knows where to find the specs that too would be awesome. 8)
                        look at my page

clicky on the valve adjustment page

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                          Originally posted by xtreme3
                          look at my page

clicky on the valve adjustment page
                          That is awesome, see...this is why I love you guys!!!!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X