Jets confuzzle me.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets confuzzle me.

Hey all.....

Just curious about jetting here. Thanks to the government of Canada, I'm finally able to get myself a full Hindle system for the '03. (And K&N, windscreen, some clear alternatives stuff, a throttlemeister, and more! Yay!) Soooo...when I order the exhaust, I just order a jet kit with it, yes? Is one brand a better buy than the others? And does getting an ignition advancer benefit the canadian bikes, or is it a waste of money?

As for the jetting itself, how would a shop go about figuring out what size of jets to use? How can they tell which sizes are providing the right amount of fuel? Do they have to make a bunch of dyno runs, or do they use one of those exhaust gas analyzer thingermajigs?

I just want to know for curiosities' sake. Thanks! :P
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

First off congrats on the mod verification from your Government.

So many questions
    Ivan on here is the best guy to get your kit from.
    He could answer all your questions also.
    The best way to dial a bike in is on a Dyno IMHO
    Ivan does it when he puts a kit in, yes the analyzer is part of the runs. You will have to ask Ivan how many runs he makes.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Jetting is alot of trial and error basically . They can tell you what setup is in the right ballpark , but it'll be up to you (or the shop) to get it "just right" . That's where the customer support aspect comes in !
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hmmm.....

I thought that Ivan's kit was created more for a slip-on - wouldn't a full exhaust be even more free-flowing, thus requiring bigger jets to correctly balance everything out? Or does that kit come with an assortment of jet sizes which would satisfy the bike's fuel needs?

And is that ignition advancer something I should look at getting too, or does it only really benefit the U.S. bikes?
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

It would be best to PM Ivan, he knows his carbs. He can give you the right set for what you have.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

(A) Go with Ivan's jetkit. I even put up my spare K&N/DynoJet kit on eBay because I like the results from the Ivan's so much better.

(B) If you're anywhere close to NY, take the bike to Ivan and let him put it in and tune it.

(C) For a 98+, there really isn't much difference between an aftermarket and stock exhaust in terms of performance. You may have to up the jet size and give an extra 1/4 to half turn on the pilot screws if you start getting afterfires on decelleration (meaning it's going way too lean), but it's not brain surgery. Any car shop with an exhaust analyzer can pin down whether the idle circuit is rich or lean; the rest should be spot on with Ivan's product.

(D) I haven't been able to determine whether the Canadian models come with a 4 or 10 degree advance from the factory. If you have the 10 degree advance from the factory, do not install an advancer.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A) Ok, sounds cool. I'll send Ivan a message and see what he thinks on the subject.

B) I wish I could.....However, I'm a billion miles north and it's been snowing like crazy the last few days.

C) I don't like the first part, but I think I remember seeing a KP member who went full hindle and got damn near 10HP out of it....so I'll just buy it and hope for the best.

D)I'll buy the advancer and have the shop check it out before they put it on....if I don't need it, then I guess I could hock it on ebay, or perhaps KR could auction it off or give it away or somethin'. : :P
              FrankenKat 1216
              GS Fiter 816
              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

everyone thats sells jet kits gives ball park numbers to the jet sizes for different add-ons. air filter, slip-on, aftermarket header etc.

i have a dynojet kit , they recomend - 110 stk, 116 with air filter, 120 with full system.

i have a 750 header, slip-on & a K&N filter - i've fine tuned it down
                to 2-3/4 idle screws with 15 idle jets ( 12.5 is stock ) 3 rd clip on the needles and 118 mains. ( dynojet jet numbers - Factory # are different )

every bike is a bit different and every jet kit install will run 'fine' by the directions - but for optimal performance it will need fine tuned.

tim

p.s. dyno machines are all over the map - i've had my bike on two dino's and were 5hp different ! ivan posted his dyno results and i beleive had a stock katana running 75 hp ! not gonna happen. i went to a guy that builds race bike ( edr ) and has a kick a$$ dyno - my bike ran 75hp with all the modes ( i had 120 mains at the time which was too rich - so it could have been better )

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                  p.s. dyno machines are all over the map - i've had my bike on two dino's and were 5hp different ! ivan posted his dyno results and i beleive had a stock katana running 75 hp ! not gonna happen. i went to a guy that builds race bike ( edr ) and has a kick a$$ dyno - my bike ran 75hp with all the modes ( i had 120 mains at the time which was too rich - so it could have been better )
                  Stock it was running 72.8 HP on Ivan's Dyno....After it was tuned and jetted with the stock air filter and stock 600 header, it ran 75.1 HP just to clarify

Comment

Originally posted by TurboRangerSVO
                    Originally posted by trinc
                    Stock it was running 72.8 HP on Ivan's Dyno....After it was tuned and jetted with the stock air filter and stock 600 header, it ran 75.1 HP just to clarify
                    my bad - 72.8. most would say stock at the wheel is just under 70.
                    but nun the less drivability to me is key & an added 2.3 hp is great.

if i didn't already have mine kitted i would buy his and try it.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X