X

Engine Rev up and clutch concerns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rev up and clutch concerns

Hey everyone! New to the forum here. Glad there are quite a few enthusiasts out there about these cool bikes.
    I wanted to ask see if any of you can help me with my problem. I have a 06 Katana 600 with about 1,700 miles on it. I took it for a ride and noticed that the clutch handle was a little bit extended from its original position. The engage space is way bigger now, I almost have to let go completely before it engages. Then at around 35k the engines revs up really high, when I shift gears the clutch gets stuck I think, it won’t engage until the RPMs go below 35k. Could it be that my clutch is not working anymore? If I have to take it to get it service, how much am I looking at?
    Thanks for all your help!

I would immediately change the oil. It is possible the last owner ran car oil in it, which could be causing it to slip. I would swap out the cable and change the oil to mc oil then go from there. With it being so new, I am not thinking it is a toasted clutch. Is the clutch lever bent or scratched or dented? Perhaps it went down and it is sticking. Lube that pivot area as well. You never know. Hopefully the shop is honest if you have them evaluate it. Either way, you have found the right place. I have learned everything about my Kat in here. These guys are awesome (guys includes gals too!)

Welcome to KR!
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

sounds like you need to adjust the clutch cable and the adjustment on the side of the motor too ive been finding that alot of people even on the new gixxer they use the same set up dont know that its an adjustment point and its never touched and results in problems
      I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Thanks guys!
        The bike is not even a year old, I bought it brand new. I did think that the cable had to be adjusted but i could not even start figuring out how to do all that. Any tips?
        What happens when your clutch is really toasted?

Thanks!

Comment

its like bicycle breaks

at the end of ur clutch lever there is a big circle screw thing and a little circle screw thing, the big 1 is the "lock nut" undo that (counter clockwise) now, to adjust turn the smaller one, in = clutch disengages close to the bars, out = clutch disengages earlier, adjust it to how u want and do up the lock nut

piece of poo
          "they haven't made a motorcycle in oh 35yrs where you can turn the head light off Confused"

burger?

Comment

here's a write up on clutch adjusting for ya

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Re: Engine Rev up and clutch concerns

Originally posted by los06
              completely before it engages. Then at around 35k the engines revs up really high, when I shift gears the clutch gets stuck I think, it won’t engage until the RPMs go below 35k.
              Thanks for all your help!
              Wow I figured you would have more problems revving to 35k, most kats hit the rev limiter after 11k

Actually follow the link scottynoface posted and report back after you done that.

Comment

might mean 3500 lol
                your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Working...
                X