X

stumped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stumped

I have a 200 KAT 600. I went to start it one day (ran great the night befor) and it died. Started it back up and it wouldnt run below 3000 rpm. So I went through the steps each time with the same resualts it will run great for about 5-10 min then wont idle. So far I have inspected cleaned and rebuilt the carbs 100 percent by the book. I have completed all the electrical checks listed in the manual and found nothing wrong there. Also completed a valve adjustment which by the way was alot easer than I had expected. Thay were a little out but not to bad . The last run left me with fuel in the carb intake and a little in the airbox Ive never seen this befor so I went back and rechecked the float hights again and there right on the money. So I was woundering if anyone has any ideas of what I might have. any help or advice would be great thanks

Originally posted by starkist
    I have a 200 KAT 600. I went to start it one day (ran great the night befor) and it died. Started it back up and it wouldnt run below 3000 rpm. So I went through the steps each time with the same resualts it will run great for about 5-10 min then wont idle. So far I have inspected cleaned and rebuilt the carbs 100 percent by the book. I have completed all the electrical checks listed in the manual and found nothing wrong there. Also completed a valve adjustment which by the way was alot easer than I had expected. Thay were a little out but not to bad . The last run left me with fuel in the carb intake and a little in the airbox Ive never seen this befor so I went back and rechecked the float hights again and there right on the money. So I was woundering if anyone has any ideas of what I might have. any help or advice would be great thanks
    Q: When you say it won't run below 3k RPM, do you mean when it starts, it goes to 3k and stays there, or that you have to keep it above 3k RPM manually to keep it running?

Q: Have you swapped out your plugs yet?

Q: When's the last time you changed/check/lubed your choke cable?

Q: Does it do this same behavior if you set the petcock to PRIME and leave it there while the engine is running?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Q: When you say it won't run below 3k RPM, do you mean when it starts, it goes to 3k and stays there, or that you have to keep it above 3k RPM manually to keep it running?
      GENERALLY SPEAKING......

If this is the case, high idle that won't come down is USUALLY a vacume leak. Crappy idle that won't run is USUALLY misadjusted carbs, Air/fuel or synch. Did you resynch them after you rebuilt them?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

stumped

no it doesnt stay at 3000 i have to hold there. and i did do the re synk and again after the valve adjustment. it just sounds like its running out of gas is probly the best way i can explain it. oh ya While trouble shooting and carb synk and so on im not using the fuel tank im just running it with a funnel do you think this would have any thing to do with it. I was reading last night that the fuel flow from the tank starts with a vacume from the carbs but dont understand if its a contuinous flow. And speaking of vacume I cant find any leaks Ive inspected the boots around the carbs and around the aircleaner and they all look just like new. the other vacume ports have been connected to the synk tool are there any lines im overlooking. again thanks for any help. I know down here in south florida they charge you a 100$ just to walk in the shop and im prety sure there gona just redo what ive already done.

Comment

I might be way off track, but worth a shot.

My wife was riding to work one day in what was basically a wall of water. Anyway, her bike decided not to run anymore. I went to meet her and got there about 20 minutes later.

Bike started with some effort (had to rev it) stayed running for a couple of minutes and then died. Waited some more. Same result.

Turns out the SV650S has a stupid arrangement where the front wheel deposits water all around the front spark plug while riding along. There is a drain hole thingy that is supposed to be open, but it is on the wrong side of the bike when the bike is on its stand (yet more great thinking from the guys in Japan - water flows DOWNhill guys).

Anyway, this drain thingy was blocked, water was where it wasn't supposed to be and couldn't get out.

When the bike was cold the water was water and sat out of the way and just made life difficult. When the bike heated up, the water vaporised and the engine couldn't fire so it died.

Poked a straightened paper clip up this hole, stood the bike up and watched the water come out. Bike was then fine and has had no problems since.

It is common(ish) with the SVs, but maybe it is something similar with the Kat? Not necessarily getting in the same way, but maybe there is water in there somehow.
          fulcrum (aka David)
          Blue 2004 GSX750F
          Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
          If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Another thought, just in the way of dumb ideas, are you positive that you have good gas?

You said this started suddenly right? Ran fine the night before and the next morning it was crap? Did you happen to fill up shortly before you parked it that night? It is not out of the realm of possibility that you filled up with bad gas but the motor was already hot enough that with what good gas you had left you didn't notice any difference. You let the bike cool overnight, gas seperates even more and the next morning it runs so crappy that all you can do to keep it running is to keep it darn near WOT.

This is just random thinking.... and probably wrong.... but I've gotten bad gas before and until you get it out everything just goes to poop.

Comment

I'll second that bad gas possibility, Ive had it happen on several occasions. ... whether it is or isnt possibly the case, it wouldnt hurt to drain it out and get a fresh tank full.

Comment

thanks for all the advice. I found the problem bad o-rings on the float neddle jets . It was letting fuel leak in after the floats were full and seep into the intake side. So i replaced the o-rings did another carb synck and between that and the valve adjustment the bike runs like a new machine I just got off I95 and couldnt belive the results. ZOOM-ZOOM

Comment

wooohooo, glad you got it figured out

Comment

Working...
                  X