X

Fork Lock Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Lock Question

Is there any way to unlock the forks without the key?

I'm removing the triple tree/ignition, and realized that the only thing stopping me now is the locking mechanism that pushes into a piece that connects to the frame. I need to make the piece retract back into the ignition, but I don't have the key.
    Red 1988 600F

a lock smith coold piut the ignition lock in a few mins if you want to pay one ive had one open a gask tank for me i bought that i didnt have the key it had it open in like 45 secs kinda scary only other option is to drill the lock and cylinger out to where you can unlock it with a screw driver
    I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Uhh, that's the whole point; I'm bringing the ignition to a locksmith.. once I get it out.

To have a locksmith come TO the house, remove it, bring it to their place, make keys, and give it back (since no one around here has said they can do it on location..), it would be $200+, which I don't have.
      Red 1988 600F

Comment

did you remove the 2 screws that hold the switch to the upper tree????

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

I removed every screw and bolt you can get out with a normal set of tools (screw drivers, socket wrenches, open ended wrenches, etc).. or are you talking about the one's you need to punch out?

I was under the impression you didn't have to punch them out until AFTER you removed the triple tree.
          Red 1988 600F

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
            I removed every screw and bolt you can get out with a normal set of tools (screw drivers, socket wrenches, open ended wrenches, etc).. or are you talking about the one's you need to punch out?

I was under the impression you didn't have to punch them out until AFTER you removed the triple tree.
            well under normal circumstances yeah but with the ignniton locked in the park postions you will or wait do you have the center stand on your bike ????? if so put it up on center stand and weight the rear end to lift the front end off the ground just a few inches and loosen the fork tubes and drop them down so they come out of the upper tree and then you can take off the top tree then take it ot the lock smith

Comment

Originally posted by Sin
              Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk

well under normal circumstances yeah but with the ignniton locked in the park postions you will or wait do you have the center stand on your bike ????? if so put it up on center stand and weight the rear end to lift the front end off the ground just a few inches and loosen the fork tubes and drop them down so they come out of the upper tree and then you can take off the top tree then take it ot the lock smith
              I jacked the bike up, the forks are slid out. Still can't get the top tree off without disengaging the lock as far as I can see.

I'll take pics/video tomorrow to get a better idea of what I mean.. and/or what I forgot to do.
              Red 1988 600F

Comment

loosen the the nuts to the tripples take out the center one and the two below the upper tree this is gonna be a pain but thats the only option i can think of as you loosen them the lower tree is gonna come out the bottom and the upper tree should come off the stem and hope fully it will come loose

Comment

Alright, so here's the video.. what did I forget?

Red 1988 600F

Comment

the nut under the triple tree from 04 sec to 08 sec loosen it till the whole steering stem drops down enough the top tree isnt hooked on it the it will slide off your almost therei should say both nuts the silver one and the black one under it but crank the silver one up far as it will go then the black one and hopefully it should be off by then

Comment

You're the man, it worked. Bringing it to the locksmith today.
                      Red 1988 600F

Comment

Working...
                      X