X

Putting a 91' GSX 600 Engine in a GS 550

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a 91' GSX 600 Engine in a GS 550

The frame I have is a GS 550E And I wanted to know if ANYONE knows if the engine mounts are the same as a 91?

I ask this because I have a complete GS550 with the engine all apart and I have a GSX 600F engine all together, ready to go.

Will the ignition system on the GS 550 work with the GSX 600F.

I found a website with a GS 550 With the Katana Engine but it looks like they changed the forks swing arm and wheels. I dont know if this is just a newer bike.. But my bike looks like the picture directly below it.

So if this is an 82.. that other one must be an 86 or something. But either way.. I wanted to know if its possible to mount the engine and use the same ignition and get it all together.

please let me know thanks Colin.
    Anyone know how to get the ignition system of a 1992 Katana 600 Engine to run independantly.

I think you are confusing the old GS era Katana
    With the GSX era Katana....

Comment

Oh. So do you know if the engine mounts are the same for the old era katanas with the new era katanas?

I have a new era engine 1991 600cc Engine. GSX600F and I want to put it on a frame in which the bike is labeled GS 550E.

That is what I want to do just tell me if it is possible.
      Anyone know how to get the ignition system of a 1992 Katana 600 Engine to run independantly.

Comment

No. Let me rephrase that, anything is "possible" with enough time and money. As for a direct swap, it won't work. One of the biggest differences is your GSX600 engine is oil cooled, where your GS550E is air cooled. Secondly they mount in the frame differently. And last I think the sprocket offset is different. Sorry.

Comment

Fuck... i knew the thing about hte oil cooler i didnt think it was that big a deal.. but the engine mounts.. DAMNNNN..

Thanks though thats exactly the answer I wanted to know.

No.

I have a 91 engine for sale!

im in canada.. toronto..

Comment

I think the biggest issue for you is that the 550E
            (if it is the newer one) is a twin the engine would just be too wide. I think the old GS 500 was a four but the 550 is the twin, right?

Get out you tape measure.. Normal is boring..
            Be the only guy on your block!!

I've seen sportster engines in GSX-R frames..
            It looked stupid and I bet performed ever worse,
            but it was origonal

Comment

Worst case scenario, I think you'd need to get motor mounts made up (or make some yourself). If you check in over at oldskoolsuzuki.info there are people over there that are installing newer oil cooled inline four motors into older air colled chassis. Most are doing gsxr1100, bandit 1200, or gsxf1100 into older gs1100 or s model katana frames but I don't see why your gs550 would be any different

And an FYI, th 550 IS an inline four, not a twin and the gsx motor would not be too wide. Actually the oil cool is like a bit smaller in width as the starter clutch and ignition covers are smaller.

Heres a photo of a gs550 with a gsxr750 lump in it. The subframe has been tweaked for the new tail but it is a gs550 frame. the guy that did it figured there was enough room to fit an 1100 motor if so desired (though probably too much motor for that chassis).

Comment

Waltari the one who knows

Comment

Yes Waltari is the Mod King and we are not worthy!!!!
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Bow peasants!

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                      Bow peasants!
                      Well if you put it that way, I can't stand authority figures :bigfinger
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                      X