Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Doing my first valve adjustment - a couple of questions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing my first valve adjustment - a couple of questions...

Finally got tools, parts and time to rip my Kat open... Now, when I got to the valves, they all seem to be out of spec, on the loose side. Is this common or should I

1) start doubting my measurements
    - according to my Haynes, a "slight drag" on the feeler would mean that the valve has that clearance, how would you describe it? (also thinking about getting another set of feelers, mine only have 0.05 mm of resolution)

2) send hate-letters to the previous owner due to neglected service
    - The bike is pretty weak at low RPMs (could be loads of causes, of course) and sounds like a sewing machine on steroids, why I suspected the valves needed an adjustment (PO couldn't tell when it was done). Since the bike is all opened up I decided to take a look at the cam chain tensioner and change the spring (heard that could cause the sewing machine sound too). The new spring had 9 mm more of free length than the old one...

3) wonder if there is a fault in my Haynes
    - for the pre98 600 with screws there is only one spec (0.10 - 0.15 mm) - I take it as the intake and exhaust valves both should have this clearance, right?

This is what I measured:

Cyl 1
    In about 0.25, 0.25 - 0.30
    Ex about 0.25, 0.25 - 0.30

Cyl 2
    In 0.15 - 0.20, 0.15 - 0.20
    Ex 0.15 - 0.20, 0.15 - 0.20

Cyl 3
    In about 0.15, about 0.15
    Ex 0.20 - 0.25, 0.20 - 0.25

Cyl 4
    In about 0.15, 0.20 - 0.25
    Ex 0.20 - 0.25, 0.20 - 0.25

I'd like a few opinions before I adjust them to spec and put it all together...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Thanks for all the tips

Anyway, I set them all to 0.10 - 0.15 and closed her up. There is still some valve train noise, especially when cold (only a little when warm), but she seems to run much smoother now. Feels like a new bike. Also that "slam slam" noise that I thought came from the cam chain is gone (I changed the spring on the tensioner).

When I was putting the fairings on I noticed a small sticker on the inside of the rear mudguard, where somebody had written "Klappen EX 0.15-0.20, IN 0.10-0.15" (I think Klappen means Valves in Dutch)... I guess that was from the last service. Would there be any reason to why you'd want a customized clearance?
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
    X