X

Lunging in first gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunging in first gear

When I start the bike in the morning it always tries to get away from me when putting it into first. I've gotten use to it and have the brake on when I shift it. Am I not letting it warm up enough? I also noticed that I have to have the clutch pulled all the way in for it to go into first. Because I leave for work at 5:30 in the morning I try not to sit idle in front of the house for too long. What I do is roll out in foist until I get out of the development.
    92 Katana 600 Project bike
    Some assembly required is my middle name!!!

You might want to check and make sure your clutch fully disengages, but A lot of bikes I've been on there is a little kick forward it seems when you shift into first, it's noticable but not so bad that you need to hold the break.

Comment

it's very normal.

tim

Comment

Yeah , I get that until the bike's good and warm after several miles .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

When the oil is cold, it's thick. It still circulates against the clutch plates and causes some forward thrust. As it warms, it thins out and the effect gets heavily reduced. BUT I would still check your clutch cable to ensure that you're getting clutch engagement where it should be and that it's not out of adjustment.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not alone, it does the same for me at times. Just a little kick and I pretty much think, alright, your in first now...
            Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
            Katana

Comment

Working...
            X