X

What if 1 PLUG not firing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if 1 PLUG not firing?

Can you guys tell me how the engine behaves if one plug is not firing?

(Throttle, sounds, gas use, idle....)

And while we're on the subject, can someone go into detail how to determine if a plug is indeed firing (without blowing myself and my garage up)?

First a non firing plug will be wet most of the time and smell like gas.

Second, if you don't have the proper tool you can test the spark off a good known ground, make sure to disconnect fuel line and remove tank away from bike.

Third-Kind of like cold idle but real rough. the bike will run in most cases but power will suck

that is to put it simply, I am sure there will be a better explaination, but this should help
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yet another easy way to tell:
      Start the bike from cold. Every 20 seconds, spray water on the exhaust pipes at the exhaust headers. The one that stays cooler than the rest won't evaporate water nearly as fast, making it easy to see.

As for what it sounds like, it sounds rough, and then you get some after-fires (from the unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust pipes).

Usually happens to only one plug when that plug is bad (or the plug wire isn't making good contact), the carb is clogged, or the intake hoses to that cylinder are loose or leaking.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Yet another easy way to tell:
        Start the bike from cold. Every 20 seconds, spray water on the exhaust pipes at the exhaust headers. The one that stays cooler than the rest won't evaporate water nearly as fast, making it easy to see.

As for what it sounds like, it sounds rough, and then you get some after-fires (from the unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust pipes).

Usually happens to only one plug when that plug is bad (or the plug wire isn't making good contact), the carb is clogged, or the intake hoses to that cylinder are loose or leaking.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet

Does it have to be water?

Can it be rubbing alcohal??

I like to live Dangerously.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou

If you want to live dangerously, use Bacardi 151 and spray the excess from your mouth instead of a spray bottle!

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Originally posted by SweetLou

If you want to live dangerously, use Bacardi 151 and spray the excess from your mouth instead of a spray bottle!

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            or some everclear

by the way Cyber, how is the book, not to hijack the thread but both of the subject matters are yours. Katana bible by Cyber?????
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

:smt100

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                by the way Cyber, how is the book, not to hijack the thread but both of the subject matters are yours. Katana bible by Cyber?????
                Put on hold temporarily. Combination of factors:
                Outside client projects suddenly picked up real heavily.
                Gotta do my taxes... working on it.
                Trying to get the motorcycle anchors built.
                Waiting for certain pictures to be taken (which were waiting on parts).
                Etc.
                I think mostly I'm slacking about the last 30 pages. I could publish it just the way it is right now and call it version 0.95...

Cheers
                =-= THe CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah right, I am waiting impassionately J/K

and the Katana designers?
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  Who knows what is next?

Comment

OMG!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                      yeah right, I am waiting impassionately J/K

and the Katana designers?
                      If it makes you feel better, I wrote more info into the files last night and today... updated some of the tire section with yet more info, including stuff I got from the Metzeler/Pirelli rep at BikeWeek.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I give up....I will just ride with three spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          I give up....I will just ride with three spark plugs
                          since you'll have to pull the tank anyway ( to do any repairs ) you might as well fire up the bike let it run a bit - turn it off then pull all four plugs.

this is what a good plug looks like - if 1 of your plugs isn't firing it will be wet ( with gas ) and probably black.

tim

Comment

It'll sound a little different , too . I think mine sounds louder when a plug's not firing . Usually to check using the exhaust method , I'll wet my finger a bit and touch the pipe REAL fast . The spit will evaporate IMMEDIATELY if it's firing , but you can pretty much grab the pipe without being burned if it is not .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I accidently rode with one plug cable off for a little while (and had no tools on me and no way to trailer it, so I had to take it home) - the bike sounded kind of like a V-twin, but it didn't have much power down low...
                              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X