X

Kreem, now problem.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreem, now problem.

I kreemed my tank last week and got around to filling it and putting it back on today. Started the bike and it ran fine, then it started to bog down then it died. I drained the gas tank and it came out cloudy halfway though draining the tank it stopped so I pulled out the petcock and it clogged. Put another tank on and filled it, now I can only get it to stay running on choke. I am afraid that the carbs are all clogged up now is there an easy way that I can fix this? Also does anyone have the number to kreem or a webiste?

Ok, I am going to assume this was to fix a rust problem...... (almost afraid to ask) you did put an in line fuel filter on when you re-installed everythign, right?

first the easy stuff - check the petcock and lines to make sure nothing is crimped - but yes, almost certainly you sucked some rust into the carbs.
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

No it wasn't to fix a rust problem I had a new tank built with a larger capacity. I used the kreem to fill the pin holds from the weld. There is a fuel filter that goes up in the tank, but I think maybe some of the finer particles might have gotten past that.

Comment

if you didn't have an in line fuel filter, I would strongly suggest getting one. Run a tank of seafoam or techron fuel system cleaner, see if that help. You certainly sucked something into the carbs.

Comment

I Kreemed my tank in '04, and was never happy with it. Used it to combat a serious rust problem. The fuel should not be taking Kreem with it through the lines. Sounds like a bad application.

I dissolved the Kreem liner with MEK, followed by acetone. Now using RedKote with success. If you don't get it resolved, I would recommend it.

Ditto on the fuel filters. I would try the paper element ones first. They are bigger, but will fit.
          Used to have all the time in the world to work on bikes - but no resources.
          Now I have the resources, but no time.

Comment

I'd bet the little holes in the pilot circuit are now Kreemed . That's why it don't wanna idle . Hoese 'em out good with some brake cleaner and compressed air . Then when you're sure they're clean , do it AGAIN .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by katana96
              I used the kreem to fill the pin holds from the weld.
              Let's see if I understand this right: you had a rust problem that rusted through, so you cut away the bad metal and welded in new metal, and then Kreemed the interior of the tank to make sure you didn't have any pin-holes from the welding...

And now the Kreeme and the rust is all up inside your carbs, because you:
              (A) Didn't treat the rust where it hadn't rusted all the way through, AND
              (B) the Kreeme didn't hold because it was applied to rust.

If this is the case (and I might have misunderstood you), you need to go back to square 1, strip the Kreeme, treat the rust, reseal the tank again (I recommend POR-15, which offers a kit to remove the Kreeme and treat the rust and seal everything back up), and while you're at it, you'll need to do what MD86 said -- rip open the carbs, clean 'em manually, then repeat.

I really hope I did misunderstand.
              Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

After reading your second post again '96, I too am puzzled. You had a "new tank" built with a larger capacity? I would definitely like more info on that one.
                However, I certainly agree with my brethren above- your pilot jet holes are on the verge of being microscopic, and the smallest bit of Kreem passing down to your bowls is fatal to them, as well as the rest of the carbs.
                Used to have all the time in the world to work on bikes - but no resources.
                Now I have the resources, but no time.

Comment

Pin holes from welding?? I hope you get it taken care of
                  It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

You too were foiled by the Kreem directions that said it would be dry in 24 hours. Ha! I waited 3 days thinking it would be perfectly dry.... and still had liquid Kreem in my tank.

The petcock on my '73 has a bowl on it with a fuel filter inside. If the Kat's petcock has this bowl / filter assembly then it will surely be clogged.

If MEK won't hurt your carburetors or your petcock, then you're probably ok with cleaning them up with MEK.

Just a little heads up on the Kreem after you start riding again... I noticed a pressure build-up in my gas tank while riding with the new Kreem tank liner installed. It built up enough pressure that the float bowls on my carburetors were overfilling and fuel was gushing out of the weep holes. Make sure to check for a pressure build-up after you Kreem your tank.
                    Simon Alexander
                    Owasso, Oklahoma

1973 GT750K Water Buffalo - Gone but never forgotten.
                    2006 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Or make sure the rim of the tank is clean and Kreem-free so it can vent ..... Good point !
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                      X