X

vibration noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration noise

firsat ticking got it fix now im getting a vibrating tinny noise at about 6000 rpm witha constant throttle. any clue what it is???? is a 03 kat with 13k's. in good matinence.
    Save the homeless, take me home with you!

Is that a Stoppie on a Kitty in your avatar?

Squid....
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: vibration noise

Originally posted by MossMan4
      firsat ticking got it fix now im getting a vibrating tinny noise at about 6000 rpm witha constant throttle. any clue what it is???? is a 03 kat with 13k's. in good matinence.
      The obvious answers all involve something slightly loose that happens to vibrate in harmonic resonance with the bike's engine at 6k RPM. What I would suggest is trying to narrow it down by doing the following (in a safe manner):

Find empty road, get the bike to 6k RPM (or whatever RPM maximizes the vibration), and take your left hand and start touching parts -- dash, windshield, gas cap key flap, gas cap, upper fairing, instrument surround, etc. Odds are sooner or later you will find the culprit if you are actively hearing it at riding speeds (implies that it is high enough up on the bike to be in audible distance from you). Once you locate the item, you may need to add foam tape, a bead of silicone, or tighten down some fastners to make it stop. Many Kat riders find the vibrations max somewhere between 5300 RPM and 5900 RPM.

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

FYI..buddy of mine had a sort of buzzing sound at lower rpms..higher was probably there too, but not quite as much since A. he couldnt hear it while riding, and B. it normally vibrates less at higher speeds...but anyway, turns out he had 2 missing plastic pop rivets missing from his under fairing..went to the dealer, picked up 2 of them for about 2.00 and that solved it.

moral...don't overlook the obvious

Comment

i found one loose bolt at the front, yes thats the kat in my avatar, and that me i have fun

Comment

Originally posted by MossMan4
            i found one loose bolt at the front, yes thats the kat in my avatar, and that me i have fun
            Did tightening up that bolt make the vibration sound stop?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Valve Adjustment needed?
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i have only one other key on my key chain and it vibs at around 5-6 rpms had to look when it first time happen to find the noise if i grab the key it goes away
                it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
                Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

valves have been ajusted a while ago, no i wish it was the key, i wish it were that bolt, maybe next go for the warranty.

Comment

13K miles? How is your chain? Chains that are starting to wear out can create some strange harmonics on the bike and cause things to buzz.

Comment

Working...
                    X