X

Overheat???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat???

Has anybody ever overheated a Kat?? Is it possible??
    Gripp & Regripp

Sure it's possible. Since it's Air/Oil cooled, if you let it run for a long time while stationary, you'll overheat. That time could be shortened by higher revs and no movement.

Try not to let your bike sit and idle for a long time--let her get warmed up and go.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I have only heard of two people ever overheating a Kat, and in both cases it was 95 degrees (F) outside (or hotter), riding at a fast cruise (75 mph+) and then getting stuck in an half-hour long traffic jam... Both switched to better oils afterwards and never claimed to have problems again.

Easy solutions if you are concerned:

(A) Increase the size of the oil cooler by switching to one designed for a larger oil-air cooled engine (i.e. - if you have the 600, go to a 750 oil cooler; if you have the 750, go to an 1100 oil cooler). Know that you will have to have the mounting tabs on the replacement cooler cut & rewelded to support the new cooler's size with the stock mounting position, and for the 1100 cooler, you may need to also change the mounting angle (by building up material under the mounting tabs to cause the whole unit to angle out further);

(B) Install a manually switched fan or set of fans on the oil cooler. Almost any electrical fan rated for automotive use that is the right size will work, since they are designed to handle rain (as verses to computer fans, etc., which are also rated at 12 volts, but can't handle water intrusion and the varying voltage range from 11.5 to 15 volts).

(C) Switch to a better motor oil, one which does a better job of shedding (transferring) heat. Also move up to a thicker weight as well (such as using a 20w50 instead of a 10w40 for locations with extremely hot road temps). General rule: if it would be uncomfortable to your feet to walk barefoot across asphault there, use a 20w50.

(D) Fill the oil level to maximum. The difference between min and max is about 1/2 liter, or about 15% of the oil capacity of the bike... enough for it to make a difference.

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ive had my kat in 95 degree heat, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, all bikes, for 4 hours straight..maybe moving 10 ft every few minutes. My kat ran flawlessly. .....and my friends gixxer 750 overreated so many times, we ended up having to let it sit in a parking lot till after the show was over.

Comment

What about a oil temp gauge??? And while I'm at it, an oil pressure gauge???? Where would they hook in the engine (if its possible)??? I want to do this, an I know how I could mount the gauges, just don't know where to hook them up @.......
          '07 SV1000S
          Power Commander III USB
          M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
          Driven 520 chain kit
          Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Originally posted by lucifers_ride
            What about a oil temp gauge??? And while I'm at it, an oil pressure gauge???? Where would they hook in the engine (if its possible)??? I want to do this, an I know how I could mount the gauges, just don't know where to hook them up @.......
            There will be a full write-up in my upcoming Katana book, with pics, on how to do an oil temp sensor & gauge. Planning on doing it next week.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dennis Kirk sells a oil temp gauge, that replaces the stock drain bolt. I have it marked in my catalog, and will get you the product number later when I get a chance. It was really cheap to, like $17 bucks I think, and digital readout.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                Dennis Kirk sells a oil temp gauge, that replaces the stock drain bolt. I have it marked in my catalog, and will get you the product number later when I get a chance. It was really cheap to, like $17 bucks I think, and digital readout.
                I don't know if I could do it that way with my V&H SS2R Exhaust, I already have to take the exhaust off to change the oil. Otherwise I can't get the drain plug out......
                '07 SV1000S
                Power Commander III USB
                M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                Driven 520 chain kit
                Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  I'd like the part number for my book, but the one I'm putting in gets installed permanently into the oil pan or elsewhere.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanx for the info. I'll call my guy up here and see if I can get a oil temp guage.
                    Gripp & Regripp

Comment

In case you didn't see the thread (http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4885), I put in the oil temp gauge and ran into issues with it and the temp range of the oil...

As a result, I've tracked down a suitable gauge/sender package for the purpose (weatherproof, 395 degree range) and am setting up an dealer account with them, so I'll have a solution for everyone in about a month's time...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X