Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer does not exceed 5,200 RPM

Hey,

89' 600...

The bike is running pretty good now after some pretty lengthy servicing... but there is a couple problems still, and one of them is the fact that the tachometer freezes at 5,200 RPMs. I don't know when this happened or how long it has been like this, but I'm just wondering what the heck would cause it to stick at 5,200.. it works fine below 5,200, but when I exceed that speed, it will not go any higher.

Any ideas?

First of, just to clarify, is it only the tach that stops at 5200rpm, or does the engine cut power at 5200 also? If its the latter, then I had a similar problem with my 99' 600 and the problem was that some of the air filter baffling had come lose, causing the restricter to engage due to the overwhelming air flow. You may want to check to make sure you are missing any pieces of your air box. Hope you find out what's wrong.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

If it is just the rev counter stopping (the engine still revs higher) Then look for a mechanical issue in the tach.
      Bent needle, booger on the label. Look in the how to section on disassembling the tach. Something might be binding and other than disassembly an easy fix.

Comment

yeah the engine is fine, it's just the tachometer itself.

Comment

Working...
        X