X

Does my chain look bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my chain look bad?

I was cleaning my chain a few days ago an noticed a little red spot on one of the links, i'm not sure if it was rust from other part of the motorcycle, or if it was from the chain. I wanted to get ya'lls oppinion on how the chain and sprocket looks.

\
    Jealousy Is Natural

It looks to be in good shape to me. I see that tiny spec of red but no rust or corrosion. That spot can be gently filed off. Maybe it got there from sitting for a while. If you want to see bad, check out this chain on the Honda we saw!

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

I totally agree. Other than some buildup of grime. Sorry I'm a clean freak. All looks to be in good shape.
      AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

The only thing I saw was a chain that needs a good hosing off and oiling . Kinda grimy looking and the o-rings look dry ..... But I'm ANAL about my chains after having thrown 2 while in motion .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Wow that CBr is insane, that guy is gonna kill himself by either the chain or the tire, which ever one goes first (if not at the same time). Aight thanks for ya'lls input, i'll ride a little more soundly now.

and the o-rings look dry...
          Yeah, i oil it either once a week, or once every other week. I use something called liquid wrench but it seems to sling off easily (even though the bottle says its not suposed to).
          Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

You need to use the pull test here:

Barring that the sprockets look in good shape..

Comment

Yeah , um , not sure Liquid Wrench is a good thing to use on the chain .....

Comment

I have been using Motul chain lube and like it.l
                What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

it looks good to me man oil it up a lil it might healp it

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Yeah , um , not sure Liquid Wrench is a good thing to use on the chain .....
                    I swear, i'm gonna quit shopping at Advanced, everything they have sold me hasn't been a good product according to ya'lls review.

I have been using Motul chain lube and like it
                    Where can you get that at, anyone else use it?
                    Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

MFR motorcycle chain lube, Grunge Brush and how to clean and lubricate a motorcycle chain.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba
                        I swear, i'm gonna quit shopping at Advanced, everything they have sold me hasn't been a good product according to ya'lls review.
                        I would suggest the following:

For cleaning, use kerosene with a soft bristle brush that is cut at an angle about 1" long. You can pick one up for about $1.

For lubrication, use either 20W50 motor oil or heavy duty gear oil (80W90), using a different soft bristle brush (also cut at an angle and is about 1" long).

This is the combination that seems to work best for my Florida conditions (and is far cheaper than anything an auto parts store "recommends").

Comment

A grunge brush works very nicely as well. Flea bay has them.
                          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by fsand03
                            I have been using Motul chain lube and like it.
                            I use Motul too.
                            myspace
                            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

bigbike-r's method of testing a good chain

looks... does it look like a chain if yes go to step 2
                              broken... is it still in one piece if yes go to step 3
                              rideability... does it pull the bike... if yes go to step 4
                              strength do a burnout and a few wheelies ... if all is ok that will do for me

if you answered no to any of the above you need a new chain
                              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Working...
                              X