X

Throttle hangs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle hangs

Whenever I rev my bike and it hangs at 2000/2500 rpm when it down revs. Any ideas to what this could be?

Yes I'm an American, yes I have guns, and yes I won't hesitate to use them to protect my family, my property, and myself

Try your idle adjust. This might make it go down quicker.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

The first thing to do is adjust the idle speed screw down.

Comment

That's what I thought at first, but sometimes it goes back to idle.

Yes I'm an American, yes I have guns, and yes I won't hesitate to use them to protect my family, my property, and myself

Comment

Carb synch?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
            Carb synch?
            Might be time.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

When was the last time you lubed the throttle cables?
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                When was the last time you lubed the throttle cables?
                I haven't done it yet, I haven't even had it for a week yet. Whats the easiest way to do that?

I rode it around more and seems to be getting a little better.

Comment

Your throttle cables are either mis-routed or set too tight.

Simple test: turn the wheel all the way to the right, rev to 3k and release the throttle. Does it hang? Cables set too tight.

When set right, in a quiet setting, releasing the throttle (bike off) you should hear a distinctive click as the butterflies snap closed. I use that sound to set the cable tension myself -- I keep loosening until I hear it, tighten until it disappears, then loosen again until it just reappears.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When I say it hangs I don't mean it says there, but it stops downreving at 2000rpm and then continues to idle.

Comment

Yup, that's a symptom traditionally of either gunk in the carbs (usually dried fuel remains), or more commonly, throttle cables that have been set too tight. If turning the steering to the right causes it worse than turning the steering straight or to the left, it's definitely the cables.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just cleaned the carbs out on Thursday. I took out all of the jets that I could and soaked them in carb cleaner for 24hrs. I think it may just be the jets that are under the caps. I tried turning the forks back and forth and it didn't do anything. Would using a bottle of techron or something like it help it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Intermision
                          I just cleaned the carbs out on Thursday. I took out all of the jets that I could and soaked them in carb cleaner for 24hrs. I think it may just be the jets that are under the caps. I tried turning the forks back and forth and it didn't do anything. Would using a bottle of techron or something like it help it out?
                          Have you tested the throttle cable after it's been suggested 3 times?

What you're describing happened to me twice (each time I rebuild the carbs and put the bike back together.. ) and both times it was a misrouting of the throttle cable (and it was a bit too tight as well).
                          Red 1988 600F

Comment

Yes I tested the throttle cables/

Comment

Originally posted by Intermision
                              If you tested the cables after disassembling the carbs and reinstalling them (and I do mean the underside of the carbs, not just what's accessible through the top), then odds are your cables are misrouted, but Techron won't ever hurt anything, so it's a safe choice to try.

Hanging idle can also be caused by a minor vacuum leak far back in the intake system, such as in the hose to the air box, but it's much more rare -- far more common are that the cables are binding just a little at the very end of their travel because of the sheath. Old cables can cause it as well (I have both new and good-used throttle cables here for the 98+ Kats if you need them; you can have the used set for $4 + S&H if in doubt).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X