X

98+ 750 into pre 98 750 frame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ 750 into pre 98 750 frame

Long story short I have a 96 katana 750 frame with a bad motor. I picked up a known running 2001 750 engine for cheap and I just have a few questions about this.

1. It does not look like you are able to use the exhaust off of the 96... the oil pans are shaped differently. So, can you put the oil pan from the 96 onto the 01 to fit the exhaust, or is it easier to put the 01 exhaust on the 96 frame? Does it bolt up in the same spot, or am I going to have to fabri-cobble something.

2. I have looked around for this topic but I can't seem to find any information. Is the wiring (except for the TPS) the same, like is it just plug and play or are they different connectors/completely different wiring?

I take it you just have the 01 engine to replace yours and nothing else

01 barrels are taller so is header length you can swap oil pans just need to swap oil pickup as well can only try usually will involve swapping the pans

should be able to swap all your electrics over from the 96 to the 01 engine BUT the alternator may be wrong as both have different gearing if mismatch could shatter drive cogs inside the motor it may be better to find a late model alternator if yours didn't come with one.

You can run without the TPS

Later models have different plugs and wiring harness use a lighter gauge wires they are quite different
    Last edited by Lachie; 06-29-2020, 02:51 AM.
    “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
    Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
    ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Well, you were very much right about the oil pan. I ended up having to swap the oil pan because despite this being a "running engine" the guy I bought it from managed to cross thread just about every bolt. While trying to re-tap the oil lines, the oil pan cracked around where the banjo bolts go into the oil pan. Fuck me right?

Tell me more about the alternators. I've been "collecting" katana parts and I have pre 98 600 and 750 alternators. I read somewhere that the pre 98 750s had the right gearing, but for the life of me, I can't find where I read that.

For a free bike, this thing is getting expensive.

Comment

From what I understand there are 3 different size drive gears on the alternators 26 28 & 30 seems like early 750s had 30 tooth sprockets but don't quote me. I have a post engine but not taking it apart for you but have also heard the alternators gears can be swapped if you can find what the tooth count is on the post alternator you could well use the pre one you have.

“Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
        Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
        X