X

Engine Removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Removal

Does the engine come out through the bottom of the frame or the top when removing? Approx. how heavy are the pre 98 kat 750 engines?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

It should actually come out through the side. And the engines aren't all that heavy. You and 1 other person should be able to pull it out np.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

You sure it comes out the side? I left my haynes manual at a buddy's house and before I forgot I glimpsed through the pages and my understanding was that it came out the bottom. But there wasn't any specific wording such as "the engine comes out the bottom". Wish I didn't forget it!
      1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Well, on my 98+, it comes out of the side. I can't really see it coming out of the bottom, because you would have to drop the engine, then lift the bike off of it. Part of the cross frame I think on the left hand side should unbolt, and then you undo the enigne mounts, and pull it out.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

it's best to get like 3 buddys lift of bike up on a motorcycle jack, lossen the engine cradle bolts and lift the bike off the engine. so in essence the motor comes out the bottom. thats how I've done it, kinda ghetto, but thats the easy way.

Comment

I used an ATV jack under the engine. I put the bike up on pallets under the front and back wheel and lowered the engine out from under the bike.

Comment

i have a 91 750 and mine droped out the bottom it only took two of us and a jack to get it out, its not really that heavey the two of us could lift it easily
              The Katana's Big Brother
              1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

I have removed both of my 600 out the bottom..

Removed the exhaust, put the entire bike on a ATV jack, strapped the frame from the ceiling joist and lowered the bike.. one man job.. fast and easy..

misery
                misery loves company...

Comment

i agree that it can be done with one person but for safty you should have help of at least one other
                  The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

It went alright out the bottom. Took it out tonight with a friend of mine. It was pretty heavy though, I have to say it made it interesting that way
                    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

ok, i'm ready to drop the engine out of my 91 750, but need to know how i can support the bike to do so. i had planned on unbolting the bottom part of the frame and lowering the engine with it still attached, but i see it has the kickstand attached and that's the only thing supporting my bike at the moment. is there any way to get the motor out and still have the bike supported by the kickstand only or do i need the aid of another person to hold the bike up?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                      "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
                        ok, i'm ready to drop the engine out of my 91 750, but need to know how i can support the bike to do so. i had planned on unbolting the bottom part of the frame and lowering the engine with it still attached, but i see it has the kickstand attached and that's the only thing supporting my bike at the moment. is there any way to get the motor out and still have the bike supported by the kickstand only or do i need the aid of another person to hold the bike up?
                        You need a center stand or race stand to support it when you take out the engine. Either that, or very strong rafters and rachetting straps to hold the bike from above.

For the engine, build a stand out of wood to support the frame rails and use a shop jack to bring that up, then unbolt the engine supports & lower frame and lower the whole thing down and out.

PS - I have no clue what SweetLou is talking about bringing it out of the side... unless he laid his bike over first.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

use you center stand thats on the bike, if you dont have that use a atv jack to keep it stable, if you dont have that you can make something like Mr. clean did when he changed his. pm him if you cant find the post that has the pictures of it
                          The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

good deal, thanks ya'll! i'm gonna talk to a welder friend and see if he can piece some stands together for me. i thought there was alot more involved in dropping the motor, so far it's been pretty easy...

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                            "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

Hm, I remember reading in the haynes manual (for the GSX600F) that the engine does actually goes down. First you have to remove the subframe around the engine. I'm interested on knowing how to remove the engine too, because I will perhaps be doing it this weekend and replacing the engine. What I understand you only have to support the engine with some hydralic jack, and then remove its supports.. and just slowly drop the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X