X

Might’ve screwed up my carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might’ve screwed up my carbs?

Hey guys so I like the dummy I am soaked my carbs in simple green for a week not thinking of it was acidic and they came out white. I tried a bunch of cleaners nothing really seems to get it off. Do you think it would matter if I put them in the bike like that. It looks shitty but I mean once it’s wet it disappears. I wonder if by puttting them on the bike it’ll in turn clean them? Or just screw up everything I was trying to accomplish by cleaning them

It wasn’t letting me add pics so here ya go

aoyIrZv.jpg

VJo0cq1.jpg
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-02-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You could try wiping them down with WD-40 and fine steel wool.

Comment

Originally posted by wfrpalm View Post
        You could try wiping them down with WD-40 and fine steel wool.
        I did wd40 and a tooth brush because I didn’t wanna do anything abrasive. I think I heard that was a no no. But even that it worked for about a bit but I was in the process of moving so I forgot about them for a month and when I went to go finish them the white had came back.

Comment

Get you some berrymans chem dip
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I polished my float bowls. Came out nice. Little bit of polish might make them shine.
            --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
            --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Get you some berrymans chem dip
              i did lol that was what I tried after the simple green. Stuffs stubborn and just doesn’t wanna come off

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
                I polished my float bowls. Came out nice. Little bit of polish might make them shine.
                I feel like it would have the same outcome as the wd40. Look good for like a few weeks then it comes back. I’ll givr it a shot tho! I’m up to try anything

Comment

Okay, so I'm not writing up a paper here, so I'm gonna be very generalized in the info presented here. Research the info (google it) if you want more specific details.

First, simple green is avg ph of 9.3-9.5. That's an alkaline, not acidic.

Second, the white is aluminum oxidization. The carb metal is breaking down. It's not water soluble, which is why it doesn't just scrub off.

Aluminum and it's alloys naturally for a oxidization layer that will protect and reduce additional oxidization from occurring in a PH range of 4.5-8. Over that, or under that, and it's gonna break down fast.

Aluminum is porous.

So the simple of it... your aluminum carb bodies has the alkaline still in the pores of the metal, and it's break it down quickly. You need to offset that and bring the PH down. I'd suggest a very mild acid in the ph range of around 5.5 -6ph.

That will also probably remove the oxidization also. You can use a metal sealer spray after that to help reduce any further issues, but if you balance out the PH again, it shouldn't be as necessary.

If the lower ph does not remove the oxidization, you can do that easily with an abrasive mechanical removal process, like blasting the bodies.

Berryman's will actually make it worse, as it's PH is in the 10-11ph range. It's more alkaline than the simple green.

Hope that helps... and good luck.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Okay, so I'm not writing up a paper here, so I'm gonna be very generalized in the info presented here. Research the info (google it) if you want more specific details.

First, simple green is avg ph of 9.3-9.5. That's an alkaline, not acidic.

Second, the white is aluminum oxidization. The carb metal is breaking down. It's not water soluble, which is why it doesn't just scrub off.

Aluminum and it's alloys naturally for a oxidization layer that will protect and reduce additional oxidization from occurring in a PH range of 4.5-8. Over that, or under that, and it's gonna break down fast.

Aluminum is porous.

So the simple of it... your aluminum carb bodies has the alkaline still in the pores of the metal, and it's break it down quickly. You need to offset that and bring the PH down. I'd suggest a very mild acid in the ph range of around 5.5 -6ph.

That will also probably remove the oxidization also. You can use a metal sealer spray after that to help reduce any further issues, but if you balance out the PH again, it shouldn't be as necessary.

If the lower ph does not remove the oxidization, you can do that easily with an abrasive mechanical removal process, like blasting the bodies.

Berryman's will actually make it worse, as it's PH is in the 10-11ph range. It's more alkaline than the simple green.

Hope that helps... and good luck.

Krey
                    Thank you that makes complete sense! Yea I did the chem dip after the simple green not knowing it was worse. Guess it’s time to take them apart again! I appreciate your reply.

I did read ultrasonic cleaners helped know anything about those? Or I may need something more powerful if the ph doesn’t balance out?

Comment

Working...
                    X