Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is the can on the exhaust welded or can I remove it and add a slip on? 05 Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the can on the exhaust welded or can I remove it and add a slip on? 05 Kat 600

It did not seem like it would come off of the midpipe. I have several slip ons with adapters but dont want to buy a new midpipe. Thanks

The 98+ OEM exhaust can is a single unit for the can and midpipe, as they packing runs the whole length of the midpipe too... which is why it's sooooooo quiet.

You can cut it, and clamp a new can on if you wanted, might take a little modification but wouldn't expect too much work.

Most purchased slip on options specific for a Katana include the midpipe as part of the purchase.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The 98+ OEM exhaust can is a single unit for the can and midpipe, as they packing runs the whole length of the midpipe too... which is why it's sooooooo quiet.

You can cut it, and clamp a new can on if you wanted, might take a little modification but wouldn't expect too much work.

Most purchased slip on options specific for a Katana include the midpipe as part of the purchase.

Krey
      Thank you so much. I was thinking I was a dumbass that couldnt figure out how to remove a simple exhaust can. We have had 5 riders die in my city in the last week, the extremely quiet exhaust is going to have to go. Do you think I would have to rejett if I put a shorty on there?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Rider View Post

Thank you so much. I was thinking I was a dumbass that couldnt figure out how to remove a simple exhaust can. We have had 5 riders die in my city in the last week, the extremely quiet exhaust is going to have to go. Do you think I would have to rejett if I put a shorty on there?
        Doubtful. Not 100% sure on the Kats, but most bikes I've owned re-jetting necessity depends more on intake configuration than exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra Rider View Post

Thank you so much. I was thinking I was a dumbass that couldn't figure out how to remove a simple exhaust can. We have had 5 riders die in my city in the last week, the extremely quiet exhaust is going to have to go. Do you think I would have to rejett if I put a shorty on there?
          US model needs a jet kit even if it was stock. Stage one kit from DJ or ivan's are good options. As your bike needs the kit already being stock, making any changes will make that need more apparent. Nothing crazy, maybe not even changing the main jets... it's the better shapped and adjustable needles that primarily are needed. MAYBE going up one size on the main jets, maybe...

Not changing the header from OEM, isn't going to make much of a big difference for jetting. Shortening the exhaust will have an effect on the scavenging of the exhaust system, and reduce performance (though the sound will probably make the mental butt dyno tell you it's faster/better/more).

Speaking from experience, changing your driving/riding style will have significantly better results than an exhaust change. In none of my vehicles am I able to hear bikes... I'm looking for anyways being I'm a rider... until they are already past me/beside me. My awareness has never been affected by the exhaust can until it would have been too late anyways.

Having ran a very loud exhaust, it did not decrease the multitude of near misses. To the point of having another motorcyclist run into my bike. Let that one sink in for a moment... another freaking sport bike rider hit me head on! That was with my exhaust loud enough that I could stop at a red light beside another bike, and harley riders would look confused and check their bike was still running.

The only thing the loud exhaust did for me was make my ears ring and induce headaches, that had a negative effect on my ability to ride well.

That said... it's your bike, you do you. I'm not telling you what to do, but offering advice is what forums is for. Ignore it, take it, modify it... completely your choice.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X