• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head removal

Hi all,
    I am a bit confused about head removal.

According to the Haynes manual:
    "This procedure can be performed with the engine in the frame".
    Nothing mentioned about loosening any engine mounts. Head simply pulled of the cylinders.

According to these guys, the engine must be pivoted forward and down:
    Part one of a teardown and reassembly of the head and cylinders on a 1997 Suzuki GSXF 600 Katana to replace cylinder and head gaskets. While we are in here w...

But I can't get that to work on my frame.

I've seen some comment that the easiest way is to take the engine from the frame.

Are the Pre Kat frames that different between models? Mine is '95 750.

Einsi

Remove forks, oil cooler bolts, oil cooler brackets, engine is clear to pivot down in the lower cradle once you remove the correct engine mount bolts.

I didn't include obvious steps like removing headers, lower fairings, so on.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hi Kreylin,
      I can't see that working. See picture:

The cradle pivots in the direction of the purple arrow. It stops on the edge noted with red arrow.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

Einsi

Comment

Originally posted by Einsi View Post
        Hi Kreylin,
        I can't see that working. See picture:

The cradle pivots in the direction of the purple arrow. It stops on the edge noted with red arrow.

Or am I getting this all wrong?

Einsi
        Leave the bolt, take off the nut. The engine cradle will allow for the pivot at that point. never had an issue (it will spread apart as needed). I've done several this way on 88-97 models.

The 98+ have issue with the welded on oil cooler brackets being in the way for pivoting out.

Sorry I didn't see this response sooner, new website design is something I'm still getting used too.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Forgot to say thanks for the comments. Ended up lifting the frame off and leaving the engine in the subframe/cradle. Easier and better access to everything.

Comment

Working...
          X