X

Need help selectiong Tappet Tool for valve lash adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help selectiong Tappet Tool for valve lash adjustment

Both my 600cc and my 1100cc bikes are in need of valve lash adjustments. Since this is my first time doing it myself, I need to order some tools.
    Are both the 600 and 1100 nut sizes the same ? If so, what size is it ?
    Motion Pro sells them individually or in a set of three different sizes
    EDIT: And different shapes...Examples: Square and Flat blade screw driver type.
    See ebay photo:

Should I even buy the Motion Pro tool or is there a better one ?
    I remember reading some where that its better to buy the wrench and driver set because it allows the user to hold the nut in place while adjusting the screw....Any objections to this ?

Thanks for any help !
    Last edited by katanarider; 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

I got the tool that looks like a stubby screw driver handle that's only 1/4" long. The tappets on my 06 600 at least are the square ends. I haven't had any issue using a standard 10mm box end wrench for the lock nuts. That full kit does look nice, but if you need to save money, you don't need the three different types with the wrenches like that. I remember reading threads about just getting a square drive wood screw, screwing it into a piece of wood, and using the screw head as the tool to turn the tappets. I have no clue about the 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
      I got the tool that looks like a stubby screw driver handle that's only 1/4" long. The tappets on my 06 600 at least are the square ends. I haven't had any issue using a standard 10mm box end wrench for the lock nuts. That full kit does look nice, but if you need to save money, you don't need the three different types with the wrenches like that. I remember reading threads about just getting a square drive wood screw, screwing it into a piece of wood, and using the screw head as the tool to turn the tappets. I have no clue about the 1100.
      Can you tell me if the nut size is 10mm ?
      Also, can you visually look at the Motion Pro /ebay link I provided and give your opinion as to which screw driver size is the correct one ?
      Motion Pro has two different nut driver sizes, one big and one small.
      Your info will help me determine which pieces I need.

EDIT: Sorry about the redundent question reguarding the wrench size. I see that you said its 10mm now. I was on the phone with customer service and typing at the same time... got distracted. I'm still not sure about which nut driver size to choose.
      Last edited by katanarider; 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I'm fairly certain it's 10mm, but if you want in a few days when I'm not working, I can take the valve cover off the spare motor I have and verify. Here's the tappet tool I have. I think I ordered it back in the day from CyberPoet. The square is just a hair over .125" or 1/8", which is just over 3mm (I measured 3.10mm, so definitely not the 4mm). Must be a very common size, as it also fits the tappets in my Honda crf150f.

Comment

Nice, thanks !
          I'm still not certain if I should chose the all in one wrench with tappet driver or just buy the tappet driver separate like yours.
          The reason I'm not sure is because it seems that the all in one tool may prevent the wrench from being able to tilt. You know to avoid contacting any obstruction while tightening the nut. In other words, if the tappet driver is in place, it seems like it would lock the wrench portion in a straight-up & down angle.
          Like I said, its my first time doing this. Maybe there is sufficient room with the all in one tool and I'm just being paranoid.

Comment

Just ordered the seperate Suzuki driver, part # 09917-14910...for piece of mind....Same as shown above.

Comment

I can't remember ever having any issue on the Kat. Once you have access to the top of the engine, there's lots of room there. The wrench in that combo would make it a lot easier for my crf150f engine though, with just small circular caps over each tappet.

Comment

Working...
              X