X

Fuel filter question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter question

I have a 1990 Katana 600. Is it possible to put in line fuel filters onto this bike? There are two fuel lines from the fuel petcock, so I would need two filters. Has anyone attempted this before? Do the newer Katanas have only one fuel line from the petcock?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Doug Campbell

Re: Fuel filter question

Originally posted by ramblindoug
    I have a 1990 Katana 600. Is it possible to put in line fuel filters onto this bike? There are two fuel lines from the fuel petcock, so I would need two filters. Has anyone attempted this before? Do the newer Katanas have only one fuel line from the petcock?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Doug Campbell
    Yes, the 98+ Kat 600's (and maybe 750's) have only one fuel line from the petcock to the common fuel rail for the carbs, and they do use an inline filter. That inline filter is a course mesh screen and a fancy shaped magnet (the shape forces the fuel to flow through multiple openings, so all the fuel passes close to the magnet). Personally, I think paper element + magnet filters do a much better job, especially with sand or tank rust -- on the other hand, the factory filter ought to be good virtually forever...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have 2 inline filters (one for each fuel line) running to my carbs. I think thats how it was from the factory, but it's been like that so long I don't really remember. Works great, and never had a problem. 1993 750.
      Eric
      2005 GSX-R 750

Comment

I put them on my 89 and had starvation problems. Halfway between here and Canada I had to do emergency surgery in an Autozone parking lot and take them off.

Never again.

She'd be smiling if she had 996 cc's of thumping twin power between her legs

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Glass
          I have 2 inline filters (one for each fuel line) running to my carbs. I think thats how it was from the factory, but it's been like that so long I don't really remember. Works great, and never had a problem. 1993 750.
          I doubt it . Kats didn't come with them stock like that . I know because I did a bit of research on the subject . But they ARE easy enought to add on , and I've had no starvation problems in the 2 years I've been running them either , as mentioned by Penst8 . Just make sure they're not horizontal , and the direction of flow is right .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have an 89 Katana with a similar setup, two "fuel" lines coming off of the petcock. It's actually one fuel line ( the wider one ) and one vacuum line.

If you take a look at where the smaller line plugs in you'll notice it leads to a small hole right after the butterfly valve on the carb for cylinder 3. This is to expose it to vacuum so the diaphragm in the petcock lets fuel flow. The fuel starvation problem mentioned in an earlier post may just be from the fuel filter in the vacuum line not letting enough vacuum by. The other line goes to the common fuel rail feeding the float bowls.

So, if you install a fuel filter (which by the way is not stock on pre98's... at least not the 89 600s) then you only need to only put one on the larger fuel line, not the smaller vacuum line. also, as mentioned before, make sure it's vertical. I'm not exactly sure why but I've read that on a lot of posts before, so why not?

Comment

They changed the carbs and petcocks 1990 to a two fuel line model - so I think he has two fuel lines and a vacuum line...
              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Can someone post a pic of their filter setup for two fuel lines....I am very curious to what your setups are?

Comment

On mine I have two fuel lines and a vacuum line. Is there a filter on the petcock that goes into the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiman555
                    If you take a look at where the smaller line plugs in you'll notice it leads to a small hole right after the butterfly valve on the carb for cylinder 3. This is to expose it to vacuum so the diaphragm in the petcock lets fuel flow. The fuel starvation problem mentioned in an earlier post may just be from the fuel filter in the vacuum line not letting enough vacuum by. The other line goes to the common fuel rail feeding the float bowls.
                    Huh? Why would you put a fuel filter on a vacuum line? My '89 only had one fuel line and I bought the largest filter I could find. The starvation may have been from running pods, stage 3 and full exhaust.

Whatever the reason I won't put them on any bike that didn't come factory with them again. There already is a fuel filter in the tank as part of the petcock.

She'd be smiling if she had 996 cc's of thumping twin power between her legs

Comment

Working...
                    X