X

geting service done?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geting service done?

i bought a 97 kat last summer and i want to bring it in to get some stuff done befor it gets real warm here. i need a jet kit installed and tuned for my yoshi i just bought. also the bike has 16,000 miles on it and im pretty sure by the sound its never had a valve adjustment done. needs a tune up done. another thing is my clutch lever is super hard to pull. iv tried lubing the cable but i dont think thats it. any idea how much all of that would cost me? would it be cheaper is i take all the farings off and put the pipe on befor i bring it in?

no estimate on the stealership bill, but I'm sure putting the yosh on yourself will save so the cost of that install. As for the clutch, make sure the cable isn't kincked or binding somwhere, or just replace the cable. If that isn't in, I'd maybe take a look at the clutch release (worm gear) inside the clutch cover. Just follow the cable and you'll see what I'm talking about. make sure that is moving freely. I don't know what your expirence is, but jetting the carbs isn't to hard. and the hardest part of adjusting the valves is getting to them. I'd pick up a factory service manual for repaimanuals.com and go at it. Working on your own ride is always more fun. just my 2 cents.

Comment

they are well know for Chain tensioners going bad. I would see if you could find someone on here that is close to you and help you getrdun. I don't recommend a stealership, try a small independent shop first if you can't do it yourself.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Lucky have you tried C&M cycle yet?
        PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
        The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

yea i called them today befor my post but they where close at 4:00 weird hours anyway im going to try them again tommrow. i could probley do the jeting cable and valves myself but then i would also have to buy the right tools and i hate tuning carbs and i want it done right.

Comment

15k Service - about $310 in most areas of the country, including labor, oil, filter, etc. You may be able to haggle a bit off if you strip all the front fairings off in advance.

Replacement clutch cable: $25, plus labor if you have them put it in.

Exhaust: ??
            Tuning the carbs for the exhaust: ???

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow i better win a bunch of $ quick

Comment

Or solution #2:

Toolkit, sears: $99
                Torque wrench, sears: $29
                Oil filter cap adapter, dealer: $9
                Oil filter: $15
                Oil: $25 - $40, depending on brand, type
                Plugs: $32
                Shop Manual: $25, ebay as scans, or ?? via motorbookstore.com (print edition).

After that, the rest is time and effort, and you'll never have to buy the tools again

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yea ill think about it more once a get a quote from them tommrow. i already got all the bisic tools i was more refering to carb sinc tools and valve tools. and yea the good manuls $60

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    15k Service - about $310 in most areas of the country, including labor, oil, filter, etc. You may be able to haggle a bit off if you strip all the front fairings off in advance.

Replacement clutch cable: $25, plus labor if you have them put it in.

Exhaust: ??
                    Tuning the carbs for the exhaust: ???

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    15K service is suppose to include Carb sync so he might get lucky there. Alot of dealers that I know won't put aftermarket exhaust on. I personally would call around for different price quotes. The other cost are about right and figure on labor being about $60 to $75 an hour.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

well i called up c&m UFO and they pointed me over to some guys in osseo with a dyno that could do it right. they said it would be around $500 and that includes the jet kit and geting it installed and tuned right. sounds a little pricy to me id still need to buy a k&N filter plus i need to do an oil change and plugs. any one got any cheap good ideas. i could put it in myself im sure but man do i hate carbs and my bike would be out of service for awhile. guess i could try geting it to run somewhat good and bring it to them to tune might be cheaper then?

Comment

well get this guys i just called up the stealer thinking they would want a lot more but it was wortha try. guy quoted me at about $560 for the 15,000 mile tune up + carb clean and install and tune the new jet kit. thats with all parts and jet kit included. he said he would give me about $100 off if i took the farings off and bolted the exhaust on. so $560 total with the farings off. sounds like a alright deal to me. beats working in the garage for hours on end in the cold up here in MN. i would spend about $250 at least on parts anway if i did it myself. how do you think that sounds

Comment

Originally posted by lucky6man
                          well get this guys i just called up the stealer thinking they would want a lot more but it was wortha try. guy quoted me at about $560 for the 15,000 mile tune up + carb clean and install and tune the new jet kit. thats with all parts and jet kit included. he said he would give me about $100 off if i took the farings off and bolted the exhaust on. so $560 total with the farings off. sounds like a alright deal to me. beats working in the garage for hours on end in the cold up here in MN. i would spend about $250 at least on parts anway if i did it myself. how do you think that sounds
                          Sounds reasonable, if there is a bit of tuning to be done to match the jetkit to the exhaust. For a 98+ Kat, it would be a no-brainer and I'd say too much, but for an older Kat, especially with matching dyno time to tune it, it's within reason, given parts, time, etc., especially peace of mind and knowing it's been done professionally (esp. if you trust the mechanics there). The fact that he'd knock off $$ for removing the fairings and bolting on the exhaust plays in his favor.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yea the guy i called befor said hes only take off $10 for taking the farings off and puting the pipe on myself. i laughed to myself becuse he obviousley does not know how much a pain in the butt the farings can be. the jet kit from him was only like $85 how is it over $100 everywhere else? he said hed charge it as a carb clean sence they take the whole carb apart and have to retune it anyway they would just put the jet kit in instead. i just hope they do it right. they are a car/morotrcycle dealer so???

Comment

GETRDUN!!! what are you waiting for then!!
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                              X