X

Yet another Carb Q..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Carb Q..

2000 750.. Took the tank off due to rust in the tank. Used Kreem to clean it out, and re-seal it. 99.99% of the rust is gone. Took off the carbs and pulled the fuel bowls off, no rust in them and everything looks fine.
    Re-connected the tank, started the bike up. Runs ok w/ the choke on. Warmed up bike idles fine. If you give it a little throttle, she dies. Can't get it over 2K, hell 1.5K at that. It just dies. So we decided to take the tank off and dig into the carbs.
    The petcock is in the ON position.. So I took off the fuel line, and expected a lil'bit of gas to come out, but it just kept on coming out. Not a heavy streem of gas, like when its on the PRI position, but it flowed pretty good.. So that there told me I needed to rebuild, or buy a new petcock. Simple enough. So I guess the question is. Would having a bad petcock that just keeps on flowing gas into the carbs cause the bike to die? I'm thinking it's getting too much gas and giving it throttle is killing her as it's flooding it out. the exhaust doesnt smell like it's burning gas.. Looked at the filter, no particles of rust or anything clogging it..

Kinda lost here. Am I on the right track here, thinking the petcock is causing her to die when I barely give it gas/throttle??
    Once she's warm and choke is off, she'll idle fine, if you put the choke on to max, she'll rev up w/ no problems, and sounds normal. Doesnt sound like there is anything cloggin the needles or so forth.. If give it choke, 50% to 75% then to 100% she'll keep reving up like if you were using the throttle.. So I think the carbs are ok..???

Ideas??

thanks..

Your carb's floats are supposed to stop the flow of fuel into the bowls when the level reaches a certain amount. So as long as the fuel is flowing, the petcock shouldn't cause your problem. As long as your float plungers are operating as intended.

Check your plugs for wetness. If they're dry and not fouling, then you can rule out float problems most likely.

I would say it's probably some rust or other gunk that got into the pilot jets/passages.

Comment

.. Ok, makes sence. As the plugs are dry and show no signs of fouling. etc..

Maybe need to rip apart the carbs all the way and spray the crap outta them w/ cleaner??

Ok, will keep trying. thanks for the help..

Comment

Sounds like your plugged up somewhere in your carbs. Get some vacuum hose and a cig or cigar and blow some smoke through each jet and port. You should be able to quickly determine where your blockage is. Don'[t inhale its addictive.

Comment

Laughs.. Ok, I wont inhale..

Ok.. I can try that.

Comment

Yeah , if the tank was rusty , even if there's an inline filter (maybe replace that while you're at it .... ) , I'd STILL blow out the jets (mains AND pilots) , check float seats and needles for cleanliness , the pilot holes near the pilot screws , then see what happens .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X