Fuel additive to clean the carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel additive to clean the carbs?

Hi,

spring is just around the corner and I was wondering, when I put the Kat back on the street, I'm going to drain the fuel tank and put some fresh fuel in there, but is there some product I could put in the fuel to help clean the carbs?

I had a look at the store the other day, lots of products for injector cleaning, but not for carbs...

Preferably something I can find around here (canada)...

Thanks

Aramis

Re: Fuel additive to clean the carbs?

Originally posted by Aramis
    Hi,

spring is just around the corner and I was wondering, when I put the Kat back on the street, I'm going to drain the fuel tank and put some fresh fuel in there, but is there some product I could put in the fuel to help clean the carbs?

I had a look at the store the other day, lots of products for injector cleaning, but not for carbs...
    A lot of them are marketed as "Fuel system cleaners" because they are independent of whether you are using carbs or injectors. Personally, I recommend Chevron Techron, based on good results on numerous motorcycles, especially those which had been sitting for a while. Runs about $5 - $6 a bottle for the 15 gallon-treatment size; 1/3rd of a bottle to a Katana tank gives you the right saturation level.

See Thread: How Clean is your Engine? for pictures, etc.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would just like to add (and this is actually from Cyber a while back) that a good time to do Techron would be right before oil changes, so I pretty much do like two tank fulls of gas w/ Techron before oil/filter changes.

Comment

I go with something called sea-foam, it works for anything either it be carbs or fuel injection. All you do is dump the full can in and ride your bike long enough for it to get in the carbs and then just let it sit over night and its like magic it cleans them out nice and neat. Everyone that buys a can at the store I work at says it the best thing that have ever tried. But I don't know about Canada but we got it here in good old illinois.

Comment

mendenhmm, where in Illinois are you from. BTW I've also used sea-foam and it's works good, so does techron. either way will do the job.

Comment

I tried the techron...bought a case of 4 at Costco, warehouse store here in California (not sure if they are nation wide), and used 1/2 a bottle in one tank...worked great... also started using Chevron gasoline...contains techron...I noticed a difference from 76 gas...maybe its just in my head....
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
              I tried the techron...bought a case of 4 at Costco, warehouse store here in California (not sure if they are nation wide), and used 1/2 a bottle in one tank...worked great... also started using Chevron gasoline...contains techron...I noticed a difference from 76 gas...maybe its just in my head....
              Might well not just be in your head, if your engine and/or carbs had build-up before... the detergents free up crud and everything runs more smoothly afterwards. The real question would be whether you'd notice the difference now that your engine & carbs are nice & clean if you ran a tank of "cheap" gas...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X