X

Gas Smell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Smell

After riding, my Kat has a strong raw gas odor. Is this normal? Should I consider Kat litter?

This is my first motorcycle, but even my '65 Mustang didn't have this strong a gas odor after driving.

Did you leave the fuel on prime?
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Did it just start, is this the first time u ever smelled it or smelled it this strong?

Comment

Maybe you have a gas leak at the petcock?
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Happens every time I ride. Wife complains bitterly about it. It really is pretty strong.

I don't leave it on prime; I'll check for a leak at the petcock, though.

Any other places to look for a leak? Bike runs great...but the smell!

Comment

could be running too rich or the carbs might need cleaned.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

yeah, probably running rich, try to adjust your fuel to air mixture. Cleaning and syning your carbs may be a good idea also. That is if you don't find a leak at the petcock.

Comment

I had the same problem, last summer and one of the carbs neddles were stuck and the bowl was over flowing and it was comming out through the air box. Try looking in that area too.

Comment

Just for the record -- your motorcycle should not smell of gas after running if it's working correctly. Others have already pointed you at the important places to look -- carb floats, carb tuning and petcock or fuel line leakages. I'm going to suggest sniffing around -- see if you can localize the smell to some part of the bike that will give us a better idea of what to tell you in terms of specific problems, as the list right now is quite long. Either way, excess fuel outside the engine can be a fire hazard, and inside the engine can do damages to rings and the oil.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If you really want to find the leak take a lighted match and run it around the area that you smell the most gas...once it ignites you'll know where the gas smell is coming from..

But seriously...Cyber is right about it being a fire hazard....be careful when dealing with these types of issues...don't want to be riding a fireball...
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Hey everyone--this is pretty normal if you do something in particular:

If you drive right into the garage after a ride, you will smell gas for a while. It's totally normal. Just park the Kat outside for 5 minutes before you put it in the garage, and all will be fine with the wife.

Trust me on this.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I took off the seat and pulled up the gas tank today. Doesn't look like any leaks near the petcock, no gas smell on the outside of the engine. The gas smell is definitely coming from the air intake under the seat.

Based on the previous posts, might be a stuck float needle. What's the best way to remedy this? Do I have to pull the carbs or can I use Techron or equivalent to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Selby
                          I took off the seat and pulled up the gas tank today. Doesn't look like any leaks near the petcock, no gas smell on the outside of the engine. The gas smell is definitely coming from the air intake under the seat.

Based on the previous posts, might be a stuck float needle. What's the best way to remedy this? Do I have to pull the carbs or can I use Techron or equivalent to fix it?
                          Before you delve into the inner workings of your fuel system...did you check my post? I'm not sure if this is an "after ride" smell or an "all the time" smell, but if it's the former, then I can promise you you're in good company.

Every time I brought my bike back (2001) from a ride and drove right into the garage, I stunk up the house with that gasoline smell that you mention.

I quickly learned that 5 minutes out in the driveway solved the problem.

However, if it's an "all the time" problem, then I think you're starting in the right places.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I'll try 5 minutes in the driveway after each ride first; it's a lot easier than the alternatives.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Selby
                              It would depend on why it's sticking -- if it's just a bit of dried fuel residue, the Techron will deal with it. If it's physically stuck (such as from dropping the bike) or defective, you'd have to dig into it. Parking it outside might be the trick though

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X