X

need help with "backward" throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with "backward" throttle

Ok, I *finally* got my kat from the ebay sale about a month ago. For the record, don't buy bikes on ebay that aren't local.

So I get the thing home, and one of the weird things about it is this backwards throttle setup. I had never seen anything like it. Needless to say, it's not working for me. Is this something I can just turn around, like is the grip on backwards, or do I need another throttle cable? I did check around the housing, and I only see one cable coming out of it. I just haven't the foggiest idea of what to do with it.

I was going to take it apart, but all the carb work I did this morning finished me for a bit... Anyone got any ideas on this?

The only way I can imagine a "Backwards" throttle is that the PO installed a GSXR (or 98+) throttle (with two cables) and hooked them up wrong..

Comment

It's definitely one. I'll take a picture of it later. I can only imagine that someone installed the throttle backwards, although the switches are on the correct side...

Comment

take it apart and check it see if the throttle cable is runing under the tube if it is put on the top of the throttle tube

Comment

That's the only thing I can figure out. I spent the morning pulling the carbs, then got excited and took it for a quick ride around the block, so I didn't have the energy to do the throttle too...

Not riding for a few years, then suddenly using a backwards throttle can really make you need to change pants...

Comment

Wow. That was a *lot* easier than I expected. Ten minutes. Yah, PO had just routed the cable incorrectly. I re-routed it, worked fine.

I'll be adjusting cables and doing a bunch of other maintainence stuff this week, so I'll leave lubing and adjusting that cable until then. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Thats really weird..
              It must have been tight too..

Comment

Well, it's idling at around 4K. Now it feels loose. Like I said, I've got a good bit of other maintainence and upkeep to do this week. I'll take the slack out of the cable and get the carbs tuned on the same day, with any luck. Maybe not too far from now I can actually start work on the body...

Comment

Working...
                X